    recently been requested to Upgrade their versions.

    Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

    Geoff

    Geoff T, Jun 22, 2004

  2. Extremely unlikely any malware came from Windows Update.
    Did he open a patch in Email claiming to be from Microsoft?
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/bogmail.htm

    Follow #1 thru #4 on this link to check for viruses and spyware:

    Jupiter Jones [MVP]

    "Geoff T" <> wrote in message
    > Hi;
    >
    > Friend of mine recently (I believe June16th or 17th) followed the

    prompt
    > (little flashing icon in lower right of taskbar) to Upgrade his

    Windows XP.
    > His firewall (Zonealarm) and antivirus (Northon AV) were immediately
    > disabled. Now he is displaying all the symptoms of a rather severe

    viral
    > infection: no AV, no firewall, can't browse (trying to get to

    Symantec) and
    > more. At first, I considered it to be highly unlikely that the

    Windows Auto
    > Upgrade could have been source of the problem, but then I checked

    around

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Jun 22, 2004

  3. Geoff T

    hermes Guest

    Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:

    > Extremely unlikely any malware came from Windows Update.
    > Did he open a patch in Email claiming to be from Microsoft?
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/bogmail.htm
    >
    > Follow #1 thru #4 on this link to check for viruses and spyware:
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/slowcom.htm

    Windows update doesn't have malware, it just hijacks your IE browser.

    --
    hermes
    DRM sux! Treacherous Computing kills our virtual civil liberties!

    Windows XP crashed.
    I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

    hermes, Jun 23, 2004
  4. Interesting comment considering the malware at least one of the sites
    you reference attempts to foist onto computers.

    Perhaps you should pay attention to the sites you seem to recommend so
    you can avoid being part of the very problem.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Jun 23, 2004
  5. Geoff T

    hermes Guest

    Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:

    > Interesting comment considering the malware at least one of the sites
    > you reference attempts to foist onto computers.
    >
    > Perhaps you should pay attention to the sites you seem to recommend so
    > you can avoid being part of the very problem.

    Ok then, that's fair. Can you suggest a better free hosting website
    then (other than angelfire, yahoo or geocities?

    hermes, Jun 24, 2004
  6. Look around.
    Many ISPs provide free web space, does yours?

    Other than that look at websites that have few if no ads.
    Google may also help.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Jun 24, 2004
  7. Geoff T

    hermes Guest

    Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:

    >Look around.
    >Many ISPs provide free web space, does yours?
    >
    >Other than that look at websites that have few if no ads.
    >Google may also help.

    Thanks for the excellent advice. See what you think now.
    http://protectfreedom.tripod.com/

    --

    http://protectfreedom.tripod.com/index.html

    hermes, Jun 25, 2004