F-Secure Anti-Virus

Christoph Cordes

Am Wed, 22 Oct 2003 02:07:24 -0700 schrieb Fridrik Skulason:
The difference being that in once case you get a German version with
local support from perComp and in the other case you get the English
version from us...those two are priced quite differenly.

-frisk

I never knew that i speak such an expensive language ;-)
I guess i would buy the english one and a dictionary then - still cheaper. Any
bundles available? :)

best regards
Christoph

Bart Bailey

In Message-ID:<[email protected]> posted on Wed, 22
Am Wed, 22 Oct 2003 02:07:24 -0700 schrieb Fridrik Skulason:

I never knew that i speak such an expensive language ;-)

It's not that German is an expensive one,
as much as English is a cheap one. said:
I guess i would buy the english one and a dictionary then - still cheaper. Any
bundles available? :)

You mean F-Secure(en) bundled with a link to Bablefish?

Remember the early days of AVG, when Grisoft's policy was to offer it
free to Anglophones, but charged everyone else?
I think that policy was changed after the harangue and complaints that
viral concerns were a global issue, and anything that discouraged a
particular segment, would impact the entire global community.

Christoph Cordes

Am Wed, 22 Oct 2003 11:36:55 -0700 schrieb Bart Bailey:
Remember the early days of AVG, when Grisoft's policy was to offer it
free to Anglophones, but charged everyone else?
I think that policy was changed after the harangue and complaints that
viral concerns were a global issue, and anything that discouraged a
particular segment, would impact the entire global community.

Oh, don't get me wrong, i don't want anything for free - a product like a
virus-scanner needs to be payed somehow, since it's a pretty complex job
to keep it up to date.
I just wonder why a product that is very affordable in english costs 300%
more in another language - even if it's a pretty good product.

regards

Christoph

Jari Lehtonen

Am Wed, 22 Oct 2003 11:36:55 -0700 schrieb Bart Bailey:

Oh, don't get me wrong, i don't want anything for free - a product like a
virus-scanner needs to be payed somehow, since it's a pretty complex job
to keep it up to date.
I just wonder why a product that is very affordable in english costs 300%
more in another language - even if it's a pretty good product.

regards

Christoph

It is expensive here in Finland too, although the company itself is
Finnish.
Jari

Jari Lehtonen

I haven't tried it but should be able to manually add those definition
files and the corresponding avp.set to the FSAV program folder.
I have tried it but it didn't work then.
jari

optikl

Christoph Cordes said:
Am Wed, 22 Oct 2003 11:36:55 -0700 schrieb Bart Bailey:

I just wonder why a product that is very affordable in english costs 300%
more in another language - even if it's a pretty good product.
Market-based pricing. That's what you see in market-based economies. The way
to affect the price is to withhold your purchases. Buying it from another
market is an option.

Fridrik Skulason

Christoph Cordes said:
I never knew that i speak such an expensive language ;-)

It is mostly the support issue. The average German gustomer seems to
insist on a higher level of support (phone support in particular) than
the average gustomer of the English version. Support is expensive,
and that is reflected in the price.

-frisk

Fridrik Skulason

Jari Lehtonen said:
It is expensive here in Finland too,

We do not have a Finnish version - I think you are mixing us up with F-Secure.
although the company itself is Finnish.

No, we are Icelandic....F-Secure is Finnish.

-frisk

Jari Lehtonen

We do not have a Finnish version - I think you are mixing us up with F-Secure.

No, we are Icelandic....F-Secure is Finnish.
I think F-secure av prising was also mentioned here. I do know the big
difference with F-secure and yoy. F-secures antivirus program was
called Fprot. Was that the same product you are representing now? Was
it originally Finnish or yours? This is nowadays quite a confusing
situation.

Jari

optikl

Fridrik Skulason said:
"Christoph Cordes" <[email protected]> wrote in message

It is mostly the support issue. The average German gustomer seems to
insist on a higher level of support (phone support in particular) than
the average gustomer of the English version. Support is expensive,
and that is reflected in the price.

-frisk

Support may be a *cost* issue, but pricing (in market economies) is usually
based on marketplace influences. Cost is only one of them and often, not the
most significant one.

Christoph Cordes

Am Thu, 23 Oct 2003 11:10:19 +0000 schrieb optikl:

Support may be a *cost* issue, but pricing (in market economies) is
usually based on marketplace influences. Cost is only one of them and
often, not the most significant one.

I don't think it's a support issue, a virus scanner is usualy not a
"support-critical" product. In the shop i work at we use to sell NAV (aka
W32.Hoax.Symantec) for about 50 euro and i never received any support
requests for it,the german websupport is a poor FAQ-collection, telephone
support is only available if you pay for it. Other AV products like
kaspersky,panda or even McAfee are below 50 euro (kaspersky starts at 25
euro for example, panda at 30) and they manage the support too. I have a
pretty good idea why f-prot is that expensive here, but i don't want to
"attack" anyone with it, so i better keep it for myself.

regards

Christoph