extremely small wireless access point

bob smith

Can someone recommend an extremely small wireless access point?

I basically just need to have two devices connect to it and talk to one another.

The main thing is that it be super-small.

Thanks.

Brian Cryer

"bob smith" wrote in message
Can someone recommend an extremely small wireless access point?

I basically just need to have two devices connect to it and talk to one
another.

The main thing is that it be super-small.

Thanks.

If the two devices just need to connect to each other then would creating an
ad-hoc wireless network do? This would require that one of the devices is a
pc or laptop, and it is more fiddly but it would avoid the need for any
extra hardware.

bob smith

--

Brian Cryer

http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian

How can you tell if the computer or dongle supports Wifi Direct?

Thanks.

Paul

bob said:
How can you tell if the computer or dongle supports Wifi Direct?

Thanks.

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wireless/ht/setupadhocwifi.htm

"To set up an ad hoc Wi-Fi connection in Microsoft Windows,
first choose the "Set up a new connection or network" option in
Network and Sharing Center, then choose the "Set up a wireless
ad hoc (computer-to-computer) network" option and click Next
to start the process. Follow the instructions provided with
each step."

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wirelessfaqs/f/adhoclimitation.htm

"The WiFi networking standards (including 802.11g) require only
that ad-hoc mode communication supports 11 Mbps bandwidth. You
should expect that WiFi devices supporting 54 Mbps or higher
in infrastructure mode, will drop back to a maximum of 11 Mbps
when changed to ad-hoc mode. Ad-hoc mode should generally be
viewed as "slower" than infrastructure mode for this reason."

It sounds a lot like a normal operating mode. Just bandwidth limited.

Paul

bob smith

[...]

I don't have an option that says:

"Set up a wireless ad hoc (computer-to-computer) network"

I'm on Windows 7. Do you have that option?

Thanks.

Paul

bob said:
I don't have an option that says:

"Set up a wireless ad hoc (computer-to-computer) network"

I'm on Windows 7. Do you have that option?

Thanks.

Try the tutorial about 45% down this web page ?

http://www.computer-networking-success.com/ad-hoc-network-in.html

Do a backup first, before trying to set one up.

It can be a problem removing it later, so if you can't
get back to your regular setup, you'll have the backup
to fall back on.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/50453-remove-saved-ad-hoc-network.html

I don't have enough Wifi gear here, to do stuff like that. My laptop
has Wifi, and I have nothing to connect to. (When the laptop needs
a network connection, I use Ethernet cable.)

Paul

bob smith

Try the tutorial about 45% down this web page ?

http://www.computer-networking-success.com/ad-hoc-network-in.html

Do a backup first, before trying to set one up.

It can be a problem removing it later, so if you can't

get back to your regular setup, you'll have the backup

to fall back on.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/50453-remove-saved-ad-hoc-network.html

I don't have enough Wifi gear here, to do stuff like that. My laptop

has Wifi, and I have nothing to connect to. (When the laptop needs

a network connection, I use Ethernet cable.)

Paul

Apparently, I wasn't seeing the option because I didn't have a Wifi dongle in.

I was hoping it would show the option anyways, but I guess it doesn't.

I bought a Belkin USB dongle, and now the option shows.

Thanks for your help.