External Content Security in Excel 2007

I'm having an issue with a spreadsheet we've created in Excel 2007. The
spreadsheet is configured to grab some data from a SQL server on our LAN.
The problem is, you're hit with a security dialog that states "Security
Warning: Data Connections have been disabled." When I add the location of
the file to my Trusted Locations, the dialog goes away.

Here's what we would like to do. We'd like to be able to sign the document
with a certificate and set all of our client PCs to trust this certificate
via GPO. The idea here is that any user can open a signed document from
anywhere, whether it be off Sharepoint, a network share, a local copy, or
whatever, and have the document automagically work without having to answer
any dialog prompts. Idiot-proof active content, in other words. =)

I've tried signing a test spreadsheet with a certificate and adding the same
certificate to my Trusted Publishers container, but I'm still hit with a
security warning when opening the file. Does anyone know of a way to take
care of this?

On a side note, I know you can resolve this by setting up Excel Services,
but we don't want to have to worry about where our users are opening
spreadsheets from. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

Emily Lin [MSFT]

Hi ,

Thank you for posting here!

My name is Emily and I am happy to be working with you on this issue. From
the problem description of the post you submitted, my understanding is:
- When you open a spreadsheet, the warning message says "data connections
have been disabled". You have to add the file location to the Trusted
Locations to avoid the warning message.
- You have tested to sign the document with a certificate and trust the
certificate, however, the warning message persists.
If I have misunderstood your concern, please let me know.

The files signed by trusted publishers will be trusted. It is same as that
the files are in the trusted location. Check if the certification is set
properly.
======================
1. Click Start, click Run, type certmgr.msc , and then click OK.
2. Expand Trusted Publishers, and then click Certificates.
3. Double-click a certificate, and then click the Certification Path tab.
Make sure that the information "This certificate is OK" is in the dialog
box.
4. Repeat step 3 for each certificate in this container.

If the issue persists, check the option below to see if it works.
=================
1. In Excel 2007, click Office Button > Excel Options > Trust Center tab >
click on Trust Center Settings > External Content tab.
2. Choose "Enable automatic update for all Workbook Links (not
recommended)". Click OK, OK.

What is the result?

If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't
hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Emily Lin,
Microsoft Online Partner Support

PLEASE NOTE:
The newsgroup SECURE CODE and PASSWORD changes have been delayed. Please
complete a re-registration process by entering the secure code mpng2008
when prompted at the Newsgroup entry page.
Once you have entered the secure code mpng2008, you will be able to update
your profile and access the partner newsgroups through the web or your NNTP
account..
* * * OUR APOLOGIES FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE * * *
that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

| From: =?Utf-8?B?amVyZG1hbm44Mw==?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: External Content Security in Excel 2007
| Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 07:58:04 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.setup
|

| I'm having an issue with a spreadsheet we've created in Excel 2007. The
| spreadsheet is configured to grab some data from a SQL server on our LAN.

| The problem is, you're hit with a security dialog that states "Security
| Warning: Data Connections have been disabled." When I add the location
of
| the file to my Trusted Locations, the dialog goes away.
|
| Here's what we would like to do. We'd like to be able to sign the
document
| with a certificate and set all of our client PCs to trust this
certificate
| via GPO. The idea here is that any user can open a signed document from
| anywhere, whether it be off Sharepoint, a network share, a local copy, or
| whatever, and have the document automagically work without having to
answer
| any dialog prompts. Idiot-proof active content, in other words. =)
|
| I've tried signing a test spreadsheet with a certificate and adding the
same
| certificate to my Trusted Publishers container, but I'm still hit with a
| security warning when opening the file. Does anyone know of a way to
take
| care of this?
|
| On a side note, I know you can resolve this by setting up Excel Services,
| but we don't want to have to worry about where our users are opening
| spreadsheets from. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

Emily Lin [MSFT]

Hi,

How's everything going?

I'm wondering if the suggestion has helped or if you have any further
questions. Please feel free to respond to the newsgroups if you need any
additional help.

> [...]

| Emily Lin,
| Microsoft Online Partner Support
|
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
|
| ======================================================
| PLEASE NOTE:
| The newsgroup SECURE CODE and PASSWORD changes have been delayed. Please
| complete a re-registration process by entering the secure code mpng2008
| when prompted at the Newsgroup entry page.
| Once you have entered the secure code mpng2008, you will be able to
update
| your profile and access the partner newsgroups through the web or your
NNTP
| account..
| * * * OUR APOLOGIES FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE * * *
| ======================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

| |
| |
| | I'm having an issue with a spreadsheet we've created in Excel 2007.
The
| | spreadsheet is configured to grab some data from a SQL server on our
LAN.

| | The problem is, you're hit with a security dialog that states "Security
| | Warning: Data Connections have been disabled." When I add the
location
| of
| | the file to my Trusted Locations, the dialog goes away.
| |
| | Here's what we would like to do. We'd like to be able to sign the
| document
| | with a certificate and set all of our client PCs to trust this
| certificate
| | via GPO. The idea here is that any user can open a signed document
from
| | anywhere, whether it be off Sharepoint, a network share, a local copy,
or
| | whatever, and have the document automagically work without having to
| answer
| | any dialog prompts. Idiot-proof active content, in other words. =)
| |
| | I've tried signing a test spreadsheet with a certificate and adding the
| same
| | certificate to my Trusted Publishers container, but I'm still hit with
| | security warning when opening the file. Does anyone know of a way to
| take
| | care of this?
| |