exporting contacts


A

austinbat

I have Vista Home and Outlook 2007 on a new computer. I can't export my
contacts when I use the import/export function in the file menu. I create a
csv (windows) file but I get an error message midway through the creation of
the csv file saying that there is a problem with my IMAP and to retry later.
I tried other export file forms, rebooted the computer, etc but still get the
the same message. I have done this before with Outlook Express with no
problems. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
 
Ad

Advertisements

B

Brian Tillman

austinbat said:
I have Vista Home and Outlook 2007 on a new computer. I can't
export my contacts when I use the import/export function in the file
menu. I create a csv (windows) file but I get an error message
midway through the creation of the csv file saying that there is a
problem with my IMAP and to retry later. I tried other export file
forms, rebooted the computer, etc but still get the the same message.
I have done this before with Outlook Express with no problems. Any
suggestions?

Why do you think Outlook Express's behavior would have any bearing on how
Outlook behaves?

Since IMAP servers cannot contain contacts folders, I don't see how your
account type could be affecting the issue or why you'd get a message about
the IMAP server when trying to export contacts. Why are you trying to
export the contacts? What is the goal?
 
A

austinbat

Brian Tillman said:
Why do you think Outlook Express's behavior would have any bearing on how
Outlook behaves?

Since IMAP servers cannot contain contacts folders, I don't see how your
account type could be affecting the issue or why you'd get a message about
the IMAP server when trying to export contacts. Why are you trying to
export the contacts? What is the goal?

The message is that there is a MAPI error 08X0040600 and that I can't
import/export, try again later. This happens about halfway through the
exporting process. The file that is created is about half the size of the
original. My reference to Express was that I had no problem before with this
simple procedure. I want to create the file so that I can put my contacts
into my Google account.

Thanks.
 
A

austinbat

Brian Tillman said:
Why do you think Outlook Express's behavior would have any bearing on how
Outlook behaves?

Since IMAP servers cannot contain contacts folders, I don't see how your
account type could be affecting the issue or why you'd get a message about
the IMAP server when trying to export contacts. Why are you trying to
export the contacts? What is the goal?
The message is that an error occurred while importing/exporting error
0X80040600 and that it had to stop, try again later. About 1/2 of the file
is in csv format, which corresponds to when the error message appears. I'm
trying to create this file so that I can import my contacts into Google
account. The reference to Express is that I have done this before with
Express with no problems.
Thanks.
 
B

Brian Tillman

austinbat said:
The message is that there is a MAPI error 08X0040600

Oh. A typo. You wrote "IMAP" when you meant to write "MAPI".
and that I can't import/export, try again later.

Have you tried Help>Office Diagnostics? Have you tried the Inbox Repair
Tool?
The reference to Express is that I have done this before with
Express with no problems.

But since Outlook Express doesn't have anything to do with Outlook, it's not
germane.
 
Ad

Advertisements

K

Karl Timmermans

Error 0x80040600 (if that's the correct code) indicates a corrupt store -
ergo - the PST file you are exporting from has a problem.

If this is the case, the first order of business would be to fix your PST
file by running ScanPST on the PST file. (Since you say this is a new
computer - is it correct to assume that the PST file being used in this case
was created by Outlook '2007 or was it migrated from a previous version of
Outlook?. If you migrated from a previous Outlook version - how was the data
originally populated?)

This is also a very good example of why it is extremely important to provide
"exact" information (particularly complete error messages) and not something
paraphrased when posting a problem resulting in getting an answer/possible
solution will be a whole lot faster.

Karl
___________________________________________________
Karl Timmermans - The Claxton Group
ContactGenie - Importer 1.3 / DataPorter 2.0 / Exporter
"Power contact importers/exporters for MS Outlook '2000/2007"
http://www.contactgenie.com
 
Ad

Advertisements


Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top