explorer has caused problem in sdhelper.dll

joel

For the last day or so I'm getting the following error
message

explorer has caused an error in sdhelper.dll; explorer
will now close; if you continue to experience this
problem, try restarting your computer.
I have restarted and shut down my computer to no avail. I
can't access my control panel or my recycle bin;
I would gladly remove ie but can't figure out how to do so
what do I do?

Don Varnau

Joel,
I think you have several things going on. Sdhelper.dll is a Spybot S&D file.
First, open Spybot in advanced mode and uncheck any Immunize options. Then,
I would uninstall Spybot for now. Reinstall it later.

Then run CWShredder from http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html
followed by Ad-aware from http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/

Security tips and other information at:
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

More useful information at:
The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm

Post back to this thread if these steps don't resolve the situation.

Don

Thank you for your advice. There is only one problem. How
do I uninstall spybot if I can't open control panel and
get to add/remove programs?

Don Varnau

Can you get to the uninstaller from Start> Programs> Spybot> Uninstall?

Or... ignore the Spybot problem for now and run CWShredder and Ad-aware.

Don

thank you thank you thank you; I got rid of that blankety blank spybot program; I only installed it because Kim Kommando, who I thought was a reasonably reliable person, had recommended the upgrade; it just shows you that you have to be very careful who you trust and that you should wait until an upgrade has been tested in the real worl

Don Varnau

Joel,
I hope I didn't give the wrong impression. Spybot is an excellent program.
Your's just became corrupted. You can certainly live without Spybot. But,
don't be afraid to give it another chance.

Don
--
MVP IE/OE
Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may participate.