Expired posts on News.Individual.NET ?

ms

I use the free German news server News.Individual.NET

Frequently, I click on a post in this newsgroup, and see a false error
message.

When I then click on the next post (and it opens), or the next post in
the thread, and then return to the first post, now it opens fine. None
of these messages have been true as I can always see the post the second
time.

Anyone else with this server see this?

Mike Sa
--------
Error!

newsgroup server responded: Not in a newsgroup

Perhaps the article has expired

<[email protected]> (282878)

Click here to remove all expired articles

omega

ms said:
I use the free German news server News.Individual.NET

Frequently, I click on a post in this newsgroup, and see a false error
message.

When I then click on the next post (and it opens), or the next post in
the thread, and then return to the first post, now it opens fine. None
of these messages have been true as I can always see the post the second
time.

Anyone else with this server see this?

Mike Sa
--------
Error!

newsgroup server responded: Not in a newsgroup

Perhaps the article has expired

<[email protected]> (282878)

Click here to remove all expired articles

Hi, Mike. It's nothing to do with the Berlin server. I do have some
memory of the very error you're seeing -- back when I used Netscape.
Offhand, I don't believe there was any fix, just one of those things.

ms

omega said:
snip

Hi, Mike. It's nothing to do with the Berlin server. I do have some
memory of the very error you're seeing -- back when I used Netscape.
Offhand, I don't believe there was any fix, just one of those things.

Thanks, Karen. That may be it, but same browser/newsgroup, previously
with Earthlink it didn't happen.

Well, it's not a real problem, and the German server does basically work
fine.

Mike Sa

omega

ms said:
Thanks, Karen. That may be it, but same browser/newsgroup, previously
with Earthlink it didn't happen.

Hm, well. I'd point the arrow at the entries in the news.rc file (the mids
for your your subscribed groups in that file. Keeps track of where one last
left off downloading headers.) Something sort of like, Netscape's local
newsrc does not have article-number sequences that match up quite right with
those on server. Not that I'd advise to delete that file for a rebuild or
anything (might cause more inconvenience than it would solve). And, as for
Netscape having any kind of command in its GUI, for asking it to resynch
things, I don't remember any. IOW, I don't think there's much you can do.
Well, it's not a real problem, and the German server does basically work
fine.

I think it's outstanding. You know, when people using some other servers
talk about all the spam pollution they see, it's almost like they're talking
about a different land, no where near here...

Bjorn Simonsen

ms wrote in said:
I use the free German news server News.Individual.NET
Frequently, I click on a post in this newsgroup, and see a false error
message.
newsgroup server responded: Not in a newsgroup
Perhaps the article has expired
<[email protected]> (282878)
Click here to remove all expired articles

Please read: <http://www.individual.net/faq.html#3.2>
Then: <http://www.individual.net/hierarchies.html>
where you can see that messages in the alt* hierarchy
expires after 27 days on the server. The message you tried to access
above is more than 27 days old (dated 02 Mar 2004),
therefor expired - meaning no longer available on the server.
If you want to read older messages then use:
<http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en>
and copy/past the message-id there.

If you have questions concerning the server, or your news reader,
then please try find the appropriate group(s) and post for
help there.

All the best,
Bjorn Simonsen

Bjorn Simonsen

Bjorn Simonsen wrote in said:
The message you tried to access
above is more than 27 days old (dated 02 Mar 2004),

And I am obviously in April. Please ignore my

All the best,
Bjorn Simonsen

omega

The message you tried to access above is more than 27 days old
(dated 02 Mar 2004), > therefor expired - meaning no longer available
on the server.

When I'd clicked the MID he'd posted, and Agent jumped to the article --
I was totally overlooking its date. D'OH! I did have in mind that Netscape
is an online reader, but totally forgot the most basic possiblity. That
the error message meant...what it said.

At least it's near that hour, anyway, wher my computer must shut itself
down for the day. :)

ms

Bjorn said:
Please read: <http://www.individual.net/faq.html#3.2>
Then: <http://www.individual.net/hierarchies.html>
where you can see that messages in the alt* hierarchy
expires after 27 days on the server. The message you tried to access
above is more than 27 days old (dated 02 Mar 2004),
therefor expired - meaning no longer available on the server.
If you want to read older messages then use:
<http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en>
and copy/past the message-id there.

If you have questions concerning the server, or your news reader,
then please try find the appropriate group(s) and post for
help there.

All the best,
Bjorn Simonsen

You may have identified the problem. When I went on ACF early this AM,
the post below was the most recent message. I got the error message.
You said:
The message you tried to access above is more than 27 days old (dated >02 Mar 2004), therefor expired - meaning no longer available on the server.

This is not an "older message", so what does this mean?

Mike Sa
-------
Subject:
Admunch style freeware
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 2004 13:26:26 -0000
From:
"The Dude" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups:
alt.comp.freeware
Anyone know of a freeware app' similar to Admunch for pop up and ad
blocking??
Thanks for advice ;-)

Bjorn Simonsen

ms wrote in said:
This is not an "older message", so what does this mean?

It means that it is not a question related to freeware,
here, ask in this group: <news.newusers.questions>
or try in: <24hoursupport.helpdesk> ....

All the best
Bjorn Simonsen

Gary R. Schmidt

ms said:
I use the free German news server News.Individual.NET

Frequently, I click on a post in this newsgroup, and see a false error
message.
[SNIP]
I used to get it when I was using Netscape 4, 6, and 7 to read news at
news.individual.net.

I haven't seen it since I started using Mozilla. But then, only one of
my 1.6 Mozilla's will correctly authorise. One of these days when I
have a spare month I'll pull down the source and /fix/ the bugger, properly!

Cheers,
Gary B-)

ms

Gary R. Schmidt said:
I use the free German news server News.Individual.NET

Frequently, I click on a post in this newsgroup, and see a false error
message.
[SNIP]
I used to get it when I was using Netscape 4, 6, and 7 to read news at
news.individual.net.

I haven't seen it since I started using Mozilla. But then, only one of
my 1.6 Mozilla's will correctly authorise. One of these days when I
have a spare month I'll pull down the source and /fix/ the bugger, properly!

Cheers,
Gary B-)
Yes, I'm using Netscape Comm 4.79, so that may be the problem as it
works with this server.

Mike Sa

John Fitzsimons

I use the free German news server News.Individual.NET
Frequently, I click on a post in this newsgroup, and see a false error
message.
When I then click on the next post (and it opens), or the next post in
the thread, and then return to the first post, now it opens fine. None
of these messages have been true as I can always see the post the second
time.
Anyone else with this server see this?

Nope. What happens when you use a different newsreader ?

Regards, John.

,-._|\ (A.C.F FAQ) http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/faq.html
/ Oz \ John Fitzsimons - Melbourne, Australia.
\_,--.x/ http://www.vicnet.net.au/~johnf/welcome.htm
v http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/

me

ms said:
I use the free German news server News.Individual.NET

Frequently, I click on a post in this newsgroup, and see a false error
message.

When I then click on the next post (and it opens), or the next post in
the thread, and then return to the first post, now it opens fine. None
of these messages have been true as I can always see the post the second
time.

Anyone else with this server see this?

Mike Sa
--------
Error!

newsgroup server responded: Not in a newsgroup

Perhaps the article has expired

<[email protected]> (282878)

Click here to remove all expired articles

Mike,

I've had the same problem, but I attribute it to my flaky ISP server. I
think the news.individual server is fine.

Lakeside

J. Yazel

Mike,
I've had the same problem, but I attribute it to my flaky ISP server. I
think the news.individual server is fine.

Lakeside
=====================================

I use that news server all of the time with no problems.

Jack

terra

J. Yazel said:
=====================================

I use that news server all of the time with no problems.

Jack

I had that problem constantly when I used Netscape 4.79. It went away as soon as
I switched to Netscape 7, which saves name/password for each subscribed
newsgroup. I think the German server gets an attitude when you've been idle too
long.

me

terra said:
I had that problem constantly when I used Netscape 4.79. It went away as soon as
I switched to Netscape 7, which saves name/password for each subscribed
newsgroup. I think the German server gets an attitude when you've been idle too
long.

That may be my problem as well. Using NS 4.8. I use Mozilla 1.5 to
browse--may have to switch to it for news and mail as well.

Lakeside

Gary R. Schmidt

That may be my problem as well. Using NS 4.8. I use Mozilla 1.5 to
browse--may have to switch to it for news and mail as well.

If you do switch, you may need to go to Moz 1.6 or later. There is/was
a bug in the nntp connection code in 1.4 and 1.5 that stops it working,
sometimes, depending on strange things. For instance, Moz 1.6 Win32 is
fine for me from home, it won't work at work.

YMMV!

Cheers,
Gary B-)