Expand Special Folder on the Start Menu

Hi everyone

I have XP Pro SP2 and came across a page which gave instructions for adding
an expanding special folder on the Start Menu
(http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/294/). It describes adding an
expanding Control Panel icon which is useful and works as expected. I was a
little disappointed though because the extension
(.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}) was shown next to the words
"Control Panel".

I know I can edit the registry and can add the following to the Control
Panel CLSID: Name = NeverShowExt, Data = "". I *think* that this should
prevent the extension being shown in the Start Menu but is it likely to cause
any spurious behaviour, for instance with the normal function of the Control
Panel?

Similarly, could I add the same "NeverShowExt" and Data = "" to other
Special Folder CLSIDs, such as My Computer, My Network Places without causing
any problems?

Thank you.

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers

Hi,

Right click the taskbar, choose properties. Go to the start menu tab, click
customize. On the advanced tab, set the control panel to show as a menu.

That old tip was for system pre-WinXP. That functionality is now included.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Thank you. The question was a general one, about any special folder, rather
than specifically the Control Panel. I know that each special folder has
it's own CLSID and I'd lke to use the CLSID in relation to something else but
I don't want the <.{blah blah blah}> to be displayed (yes, there is a full
stop before the CLSID which is acting as an extension).

Thanks for any further input.

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers

Hi,

Sorry, didn't realize that. What you proposed initially should not affect
the function of the folder (or any special folder), just its appearance.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Thank you Rick. That's what my gut feeling was, but it's good to have it
confirmed by someone who knows what they're doing <lol>. You have, after
all, been elevated to the heights of a Microsoft MVP and that must mean
something! I know that messing around the registry can be disastrous and
sometimes a user's logic doesn't seem to work in there, hence I use System
Restore a lot and back up registry keys, just in case ....

It looks as if I have some homework for over the Christmas holiday period!

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers

Oh - I'm supposed to know what I'm doing? Actually, I'm probably just like
you, experimenting and backing up keys and trying things out. Only
difference is the amount of time I spend here answering questions.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Aww - you just popped my balloon! Surely you weren't made a Microsoft MVP
simply by collecting the correct number of empty coke/Pepsi cans or wine
bottle labels <lol>?

David Candy

It hasn't worked properly for years. Since MS introduced a folder shortcut (they look the same as a normal shortcut but act different on Start). Create a shortcut from any folder. To make a normal shortcut to a folder create a shortcut from a folder shortcut.

Thank you David.

Do you agree with Rick that if I add "NeverShowExt" and Data = "" to the
Control Panel or other Special Folder CLSIDs, such as My Computer, My Network
Places etc., it won't cause
any problems? I need to be able to conceal the <.{blah blah blah}> if I do
the Start>Expanding Control Panel trick that I mentioned initially or if I
use the Special Folder CLSIDs as an extension for something else.

PS to Rick - please don't regard this post as questioning your advice! It's
just that David has commented about something not working for years, so he
may have thoughts about the modification that I'm considering to the Special
Folder CLSIDs.

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers

Naw, 'twas my beer can collection.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

ANONYMOUS

Rick said:
Oh - I'm supposed to know what I'm doing? Actually, I'm probably just like
you, experimenting and backing up keys and trying things out. Only
difference is the amount of time I spend here answering questions.

In other words you are married to your computer :).

Best regards,

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers

My wife seems to think so.....

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers

.....and ol HP, and ol Compaq, and so on, and so on......

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Ol Dell, or are you a mormon with ol Dell and ol Gateway?