Exiting XP Pro Hangup - SGTRAY.EXE

Jim

Every time I try to exit XP Pro on my new Thinkpad, a window pops up
asking if you want to end program now or wait till it shuts down.
Then the little bar moves to the right supposedly while SGTRAY.EXE is
shutting down. Well, then after the bar "times out", the program
never does shut down and you have to hit the button END NOW to exit
WIndows. Apparently Sgtray.exe wants to keep running.

Is there any way around this so XP will make a clean exit?

Thanks,

Jim

Shenan Stanley

Jim said:
Every time I try to exit XP Pro on my new Thinkpad, a window pops up
asking if you want to end program now or wait till it shuts down.
Then the little bar moves to the right supposedly while SGTRAY.EXE is
shutting down. Well, then after the bar "times out", the program
never does shut down and you have to hit the button END NOW to exit
WIndows. Apparently Sgtray.exe wants to keep running.

Is there any way around this so XP will make a clean exit?

Interesting. Not a native application. According to a quick search, it is:

Process File: sgtray or sgtray.exe
Process Name: StorageGuard Tray Application
back up files. This free utility works with BackupMyPC, Simple Backup, and
MS Backup software.
Company: VERITAS Software Corporation.
System Process: No
Security Risk ( Virus/Trojan/Worm/Adware/Spyware ): No

( http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/sgtray/ )

And according to the site I found specifically referring to Thinkpads and
this error (yes - Google can be YOUR friend too!) - it's easily fixed:

http://zurich.csail.mit.edu/hypermail/thinkpad/2004-03/1108.html

The "SG" stands for "Storage Guard", which is included with several products
by Veritas. T30 models with DVD/CD drives come with the Veritas RecordNow
program preinstalled. This is apparently a way to remove the annoying popup:

If you have RecordNow, sgtray.exe was installed as part of that application.
It can be removed separately, leaving the RecordNow program itself intact:
Open the control panel, and click on add/remove programs.
Search for the application called "IBM RecordNow Update Manager".
Click on the remove button(s). As you remove it, you will see that it is a
Veritas product. Sgtray.exe will go away and RecordNow will stay, with no
need to get into regedit.

Those directions came from posts I found (and revised a little bit) in some
XP forums, but Win2000 T30 machines with DVD/CD also have the SGTRAY.EXE

Give the part preceded with ">" a shot and get back to us!

Will Denny

Hi

Have a look here:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...earch&meta=group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.*

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

| Every time I try to exit XP Pro on my new Thinkpad, a window pops up
| asking if you want to end program now or wait till it shuts down.
| Then the little bar moves to the right supposedly while SGTRAY.EXE is
| shutting down. Well, then after the bar "times out", the program
| never does shut down and you have to hit the button END NOW to exit
| WIndows. Apparently Sgtray.exe wants to keep running.
|
| Is there any way around this so XP will make a clean exit?
|
| Thanks,
|
| Jim

Jim

Shenan;

Thanks a lot, that did the trick, there was a separate entry in the
REMOVE SOFTWARE just as you said. Exiting smoothly now.

Jim