Excel2003 - Cannot find file ...

Wolfgang

Hi!

Since some days, when I want to open Excel files with a
double click I always get the error message:
"Cannot find the file <filename.xls> (or one of its
components). Make sure the path and the file name are
correct and that all required libraries are available."

Nevertheless it is possible to open excel files. Just
start execl and do a file/open. This works.

I've found the MS-KB-Article 296055 which covers this kind
of error. I tried the suggested resolution, but it didn't
change the behavior of Excel 2003.

I did a repair-installation of office => excel has still
the same problem.

I did an uninstall / install of Excel 2003 => excel has
still the same problem.

What I have found out additionally:
Open Excel file with a double click
- does NOT WORK with my "network_domain\my_username" User
- it does WORK with my "local_computer\my_username" User

So I suppose that the current_user registry or the user
profiles of my network_domain user is somewhere corrupt.
It's quite annoying, if you cannot open files by clicking
on it.

Has anybody an idea how to sovle this problem?
Thanks in advance.

Wolfgang

Lady Layla

2 things to try

1) in Excel go to Tools General and make sure Ignore other applications is
unchecked

if this does not work

Try reregistering Excel

In Start Run box enter Excel.exe \register
: Hi!
:
[...]

reregistering Excel with "excel.exe /regserver" was the
suggested resolution in the KB-Article and didn't work
unfortunately.

I tried also to uncheck the option "Ignore other
applications" and it works again!!

Thanks Lady Layla!

I was wondering with which other application excel has to
communicate to open a excel file by clicking on the file?
Because when I use another user account as usually it work
also with the option "Ignore other applications" checked.

Wolfgang
: >1) in Excel go to Tools General and make sure Ignore other applications is
: >unchecked
: >
: >if this does not work
: >
: >Try reregistering Excel
: >
: >:
: >: Has anybody an idea how to sovle this problem?
: >: Thanks in advance.
: >:
: >: Wolfgang
: >: