Excel Excel

Reaction score
I have a bug or perhaps a virus in Excel. When I copy a formula and paste it, I get the result, not the formula. If I use "paste special" I am only given the option to paste in Unicode text or text - not what I am used to which is "formulas, format etc.

Can anyone shed light on this?

Donald

Reaction score
I've updated my security software and re-scanned. I got a clean bill of health so it doesn't look like a virus.

Reaction score
Which version of Excel is it? I've seen the option "Ignore other applications that use DDE" cause odd problems before. If you have an older version of Excel, go to Tools | Options and you'll find it, I think, on the General tab. In 2007 it's Office Button | Excel Options, go to Advanced and scroll all the way down. If that option is turned on, turn it off.

Reaction score
Thanks for your input. I'm using Excel 2003. I searched all the menus under Options but didn't find that one - maybe they took it out to save trouble.

Reaction score
It's definitely in there in Excel 2003, though I don't have a copy to check with right now. I think it's on the general tab, and it may just be a checkbox that says "Ignore other applications."
Make sure that is unchecked.

Reaction score
Thank you (sorry I don't know your name). I have found it and it is unchecked - still got the problem.

Reaction score
Well damn. I know I've seen this problem before, but that was when I would remote into someone's computer and try to copy and paste through the remote control software. The fix for that was to hit copy twice before paste and we could get it to work. I know it's a stretch, but I figure it's worth a try until a real fix is found. You could also go through and do a repair on Office through Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.

Good Luck!

Reaction score
Thank you all. I got some on line support. It turned out the problem only occurred when I was on line. They re-set my registers, whatever they ar.

Ask a Question