Excel Excel 2013 cell text hidden whilst typing

Reaction score
A workbook I created some years ago suddenly behaves oddly. When entering text in a cell it remains invisible until the cell loses focus. Can anyone shed some light on this issue?

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear you've been having problems - just so I understand, is it the text in the cell itself that is invisible when you're editing it, but it appears once you click elsewhere in the spreadsheet? Does it show ok in the formula bar? Is it all cells in the workbook or just specific ones?

I've not encountered this before, but my gut feeling is that it's a formatting issue. Have you tried changing the font?

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, Becky. The text is hidden in the cell until I move to another cell. The does appear in the formula bar as I type. I can't claim to have tried every cell in the workbook but it does seem that the problem is across the complete file. I hadn't thought of it being a font issue but I have just changed one worksheet to Times New Roman which is the default font. It didn't make any difference so I have reverted to Arial.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Hmmm... if you go to File > Options > Advanced, is the box ticked to allow you to 'Allow editing directly in cells'?

Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed response. Been away for a few days. Yes, the box is ticked to allow editing directly in cells.

Ask a Question