Excel 2000 Standard not saving data when saving file

Reaction score
Hello All

I work for an IT dept and have an issue with excel 2000.

The problem came to light when a user reported a problem with a workbook that is stored on a network drive. The problem was reported as the data they had inputted into the sheet was not being saved even though they had clicked save and the progress bar had completed.

After some investigation i found that the application had attempted to save the worksheet but it hadn't overwritten the original sheet but created a tmp file. I tried to open this tmp file with excel 200 however just before it was going to open a message advising "file not found" appeared. I tested this file using a copy of office 2007 and it opened fine. Office 2003 viewers also was able to open this tmp file with no problems. I tried using office 2003 and it was able to open the file but had to repair problems with it. This was the message it gave "Errors were detected in "FILENAME", but microsoft office excel was able to open the file by making the repairs listed below. Save the file to make these repairs permanent" The errors listed were as follows "Lost visual Basic project, One or more invalid conditional formats were removed from workbook."

Once the document was repaired it was able to be opened again with office 2000. The problem isn't regular and only occasionally happens. The file that was originally effected is accessed by approx 10 people and at one time or another they have all experienced the issue. The file is fairly complex and has a lot of formulae + links to other workbook files. I'm not sure myself of the exact coding as it was build by one of our users and sent out for use.

At the moment it isn't an option to change the version of office to say 2003 or later. These files are also integral to the working of the dept which means rebuilding them is a last resort.

Any advice or help is appreciated, if not to solve the issue but put me in the right direction.

Ask a Question