Everyday the same update?

Andreas Muschkat

I have a problem with a win2000-Server. I can only login on this
machine with remote dektop.

On this machine running the automatic update service. Since a couple
of weeks everytime I login, the system tells me, that there is a new
update: 823281. I have install the update but at the next login the
system tells me the same thing.

What is the problem? What can I do to solve them? Where shuld I look
for further information?

Andreas

Steve

Andreas,
I posted a similar question about a week ago. The
difference is the update number/title and I'm running W2K
Professional instead of W2K server. No one has responded
with an answer so far, so I'm anxious to see if you get a
response.

--Steve

Victor Meldrew

I don't believe it!
I'll join the club too. I'm running Win2K Pro and my
update is 832483.

-- Victor Meldrew

Bruce Lee

Kari,

I have this problem on Win2KPro. To date, I have installed 832483
three times (once via manual visit to windows update, twice via
automated windows update). Looking at the link you cite (refers to
WinXP, btw), it recommends installing the update again (duh, did that)
and if that does not work, delete a registry key and install it again
(um, there is no registry key containing the substring "832483" on my
system).

Going to once-a-month updates should give Micro$oft sufficient time to
_test_ the update process.

This is not the only looping update, btw. There is another from Feb
2002 (I don't remember the QID though).

--Bruce

Arno Zwegers

Kari,

I have this problem on Win2KPro. To date, I have installed 832483
three times (once via manual visit to windows update, twice via
automated windows update). Looking at the link you cite (refers to
WinXP, btw), it recommends installing the update again (duh, did that)
and if that does not work, delete a registry key and install it again
(um, there is no registry key containing the substring "832483" on my
system).

Going to once-a-month updates should give Micro$oft sufficient time to
_test_ the update process.

You are not the only one.
I have a site whith about 200 PC's, running Windows 2000 Professional,
SUS is running on a Windows 2000 Server and the Network is a 2000
Active Directory.
ALL those 200 PC's are installing the same 2 patches every day again
and again and again.

Manually installing does not help, even manually installing them from
the downloaded executeable.
Disapproving one via SUS and then the other one is in the same loop.
I have the problem with
Q814078 regarding jscript
and also for:
Security Update, February 14, 2002 (Internet Explorer 6)

Hopefully someone has a solution that works, I already made a key for
these items under HKLM\Software etc \uninstall
didn't work either.

This is frustrating for all of my end users and I had to stop SUS
because this is unworkeable.

This is not the only looping update, btw. There is another from Feb
2002 (I don't remember the QID though).

--Bruce

Regards, Mvg,
Arno Zwegers - The Netherlands - MCSE NT4/2000/2003 + Messaging - MCSA 2003 - www.sps.nl -

Kari [MSFT]

Could you possibly post some data to try and pin down the problem?

version # of system file sqlsrv32.dll
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\DataAccess\Q832483, value of
"ProductVersion"
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DataAccess, value of "FullInstallVer"

If you could, this would be very helpful!

Thanks.
--
Kari
Bruce Lee said:
Kari,

I have this problem on Win2KPro. To date, I have installed 832483
three times (once via manual visit to windows update, twice via
automated windows update). Looking at the link you cite (refers to
WinXP, btw), it recommends installing the update again (duh, did that)
and if that does not work, delete a registry key and install it again
(um, there is no registry key containing the substring "832483" on my
system).

Going to once-a-month updates should give Micro$oft sufficient time to
_test_ the update process.

This is not the only looping update, btw. There is another from Feb
2002 (I don't remember the QID though).

--Bruce

"Kari [MSFT]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319109 "Windows Update Site Lists Updates
That You Already Installed" might be some help.

Kari [MSFT]

Hi Arno,

Could you post the following data?

Which Jscript update is looping? There are W2K updates for Jscript versions
5.1, 5.5 and 5.6
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion, value of
CurrentBuildNumber
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
Components\{4f645220-306d-11d2-995d-00c04f98bbc9}, value of Version
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
Components\{4f645220-306d-11d2-995d-00c04f98bbc9}, value of IsInstalled
Version of system file vbscript.dll

If you could, this would be really helpful!

Thanks.
--
Kari
Arno Zwegers said:
[...]

Hi Kari,

Re: version # of system file sqlsrv32:
[File version: 2000.80.194.0
Product version: 3.80.0194.00]

Re: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\DataAccess\Q832483
[There is no Q832483 key anywhere in my registry]

Re: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DataAccess\FullInstallVer
[2.60.6526.2]

--Bruce

Bruce Lee said:
[...]

Thanks, Bruce. Let me get this checked out.
--
Kari

Bruce Lee said:
[...]

The version of jscript is 5.6, but that one was automatically approved
because is is an updated version. I believe the update was 81470

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion, value
of
CurrentBuildNumber = 2195
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
Components\{4f645220-306d-11d2-995d-00c04f98bbc9}, value of Version =
5,6,0,6914
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
Components\{4f645220-306d-11d2-995d-00c04f98bbc9}, value of
IsInstalled = 0x0000001 (1)
Version of system file vbscript.dll =

c:\winnt\system32 = 5.6.0.6914
c:\servicepackfiles\i386 = 5.1.0.7426
Uninstall$ = 5.1.0.7426
DLL Cache = 5.6.0.6914

version # of system file sqlsrv32.dll
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\DataAccess\Q832483,
value of
"ProductVersion" = This key does not exist.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DataAccess, value of
"FullInstallVer" = 2.71.9030.9

Regards, Mvg,
Arno Zwegers - The Netherlands - MCSE NT4/2000/2003 + Messaging - MCSA 2003 - www.sps.nl -

Kari [MSFT]

Thank you very much, Arno! This is being investigated and I hope we'll have
a fix very shortly.

Arno Zwegers

Thank you very much, Arno! This is being investigated and I hope we'll have
a fix very shortly.

Any updates on this problem?