every user of the open source Linux system could owe Microsoft money


M

MicroFox

LOL its so funny that I am seeing all the peices of the puzzle fit in with
my
prediction about the course of technology and in perticular the decline of
MS, in the following years.


http://www.****theinter.net/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1954

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer has said that every user of the open source
Linux system could owe his company money for using its intellectual
property. The statement will confirm the worst fears of the open source
community.

Microsoft recently signed a deal for SUSE Linux, a Novell-owned distribution
of the Linux operating system. The two companies pledged that they would
improve the interoperability of their products. Open source advocates were
amazed at the deal, but Ballmer's comments could vindicate the suspicions of
some.

Ballmer said in a question and answer session at a technology conference
that Microsoft signed the deal because Linux "uses our intellectual
property" and it wanted to "get the appropriate economic return for our
shareholders from our innovation".

Those claims to rights in Linux will set alarm bells ringing in the open
source community. Some had argued that the deal was a sophisticated way of
claiming rights over the software.

The deal involved a payment of $440m from Microsoft to Novell for coupons
which Microsoft users can redeem against support for SUSE Linux. A payment
that now looks to be more important, though, is a $40m payment from Novell
to Microsoft, reported to be a pledge that Microsoft will not sue its users
for patent infringement.

Ballmer was explaining the rationale behind that deal. "Novell pays us some
money for the right to tell customers that anybody who uses SUSE Linux is
appropriately covered," he said, according to Computerworld. "This is
important to us, because we believe every Linux customer basically has an
undisclosed balance sheet liability."

The comments will provoke fury amongst open source advocates who believe
that Microsoft has no claims at all on the intellectual property contained
in Linux.

In explaining the deal before Ballmer's comments, Roger Levy, vice-president
of open platform solutions at Novell, told a Paris press conference that the
deal solved a problem which was costing both firms money.

"Customers were afraid they'd get sued if they crossed platforms and this
meant that they were hesitating on buying decisions," said Levy. "As part of
the deal Microsoft will agree not to sue our customers and we agreed not to
sue their customers. This is not an agreement between companies - we can
still sue each other for any number of reasons - but ultimately our
respective customers needed peace of mind to make decisions."

Red Hat, which also distributes commercial versions of Linux, refused to
sign a similar deal with Microsoft. Red Hat "does not believe there is a
need for or basis for the type of relationship defined in the
Microsoft-Novell announcement", deputy general counsel Mark Webbink told
news agency Bloomberg in a statement
 
Ad

Advertisements

A

Alias

MicroFox said:
LOL its so funny that I am seeing all the peices of the puzzle fit in with
my
prediction about the course of technology and in perticular the decline of
MS, in the following years.

The more user friendly Linux becomes, the more people will leave the
company that installs software that says you're guilty of piracy until
you prove you're innocent. I know that's why I'm leaving Windows. That,
and being tired of having to check for updates on all my anti malware
and anti virus software.

Alias
 
A

Alexander Suhovey

-----Original Message-----
From: MicroFox [mailto:-]
Posted At: Friday, November 24, 2006 1:16 PM
Posted To: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Conversation: every user of the open source Linux system
could owe Microsoft money
Subject: every user of the open source Linux system could owe Microsoft money

Ballmer said in a question and answer session at a technology conference
that Microsoft signed the deal because Linux "uses our intellectual
property" and it wanted to "get the appropriate economic
return for our shareholders from our innovation".
[...]
Ballmer was explaining the rationale behind that deal. "Novell pays us some
money for the right to tell customers that anybody who uses SUSE Linux is
appropriately covered," he said, according to Computerworld. "This is
important to us, because we believe every Linux customer basically has an
undisclosed balance sheet liability."

So is it only one distribution of Linux - SUSE or Linux in general? It's
not quite clear.

Do you have any info on which exactly part of SUSE distros is seen by
Microsoft as its IP? I doubt MS wants to be next SCO in the eyes of
community. Taking into account the fact that Novell settled, I'd say MS
had some serious arguments here. Although they could be something other
than IP infringement arguments :)

Does anybody has more info on this one?
 
M

Mamamegs

Alexander Suhovey formulated on vrijdag :
-----Original Message-----
From: MicroFox [mailto:-]
Posted At: Friday, November 24, 2006 1:16 PM
Posted To: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Conversation: every user of the open source Linux system
could owe Microsoft money
Subject: every user of the open source Linux system could owe
Microsoft money

Ballmer said in a question and answer session at a technology
conference that Microsoft signed the deal because Linux "uses our
intellectual property" and it wanted to "get the appropriate
economic return for our shareholders from our innovation".
[...]
Ballmer was explaining the rationale behind that deal. "Novell pays
us some money for the right to tell customers that anybody who uses
SUSE Linux is appropriately covered," he said, according to
Computerworld. "This is important to us, because we believe every
Linux customer basically has an undisclosed balance sheet
liability."

So is it only one distribution of Linux - SUSE or Linux in general?
It's not quite clear.

Do you have any info on which exactly part of SUSE distros is seen by
Microsoft as its IP? I doubt MS wants to be next SCO in the eyes of
community. Taking into account the fact that Novell settled, I'd say
MS had some serious arguments here. Although they could be something
other than IP infringement arguments :)

Does anybody has more info on this one?

http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,20801247^27318^^nbv^15306-15321,00.html

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=1255

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2006/111606-schwartz-slams-microsoft-novell.html

--
Mamamegs.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
(Adam Savage)

Nederlandse nieuwsgroepen voor Vista
alt.nl.os.windows.vista
microsoft.public.nl.windows.vista

_*[email protected]*_
 
A

Alexander Suhovey

-----Original Message-----
From: Andre Da Costa[ActiveWin] [mailto:[email protected]]
Posted At: Friday, November 24, 2006 4:36 PM
Posted To: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Conversation: every user of the open source Linux system
could owe Microsoft money
Subject: Re: every user of the open source Linux system could
owe Microsoft money

Why can't we all just get along?

What do you mean, get along? Are you saying it's something that is not
important? Please explain.
 
Ad

Advertisements

R

Richard Urban

TROLL.....TROLL.....TROLL ALERT

--


Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
(For email, remove the obvious from my address)

Quote from George Ankner:
If you knew as much as you think you know,
You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
 
A

Andre Da Costa[ActiveWin]

To each his own, if you like Linux, Mac OS X, Windows, Unix, Free BSD, fine.
But why are we in this indoctrination mindset? Lets just stick to Windows
Vista, if you have an opinion about some better OS, go in NeoWin forum.
--
Andre
Blog: http://adacosta.spaces.live.com
My Vista Quickstart Guide:
http://adacosta.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!E8E5CC039D51E3DB!9709.entry
Alexander Suhovey said:
-----Original Message-----
From: Andre Da Costa[ActiveWin] [mailto:[email protected]]
Posted At: Friday, November 24, 2006 4:36 PM
Posted To: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Conversation: every user of the open source Linux system
could owe Microsoft money
Subject: Re: every user of the open source Linux system could
owe Microsoft money

Why can't we all just get along?

What do you mean, get along? Are you saying it's something that is not
important? Please explain.
 
M

MicroFox

We should get along.. however some parties think that there is a pie that
has to be cut,
and that pie is limited. They are trying with bad strategies and greed to
enforce their own agenda.... You know who I am talking about.

How can you get along with people like that? Its hard even if you may want
to...
the only thing you can do is to avoid them, since conflicts
are a waste of time and energy, and in fact gives power to the offenders.

The real reality though, is that the pie is unlimited as long as you find
new ways to make it larger by expanding it instead of trying to get a bigger
piece. This concept is simple, yet it eludes most people.. This concept
creates innovation and breakthroughs and increasing prosperity for the
world.
 
M

MicroFox

sorry there is no troll here. The fact that you see a troll where no one
exists tells
us something about you and what you believe.

How silly is that to cry troll troll troll :-(
 
A

Alias

MicroFox said:
sorry there is no troll here. The fact that you see a troll where no one
exists tells
us something about you and what you believe.

How silly is that to cry troll troll troll :-(

Mr Urban has had this problem for years. Ignore him.

Alias
 
Ad

Advertisements

R

Richard Urban

Microfox has yet to ask a valid question about Vista, nor has he actually
assisted anyone.

This in my eyes makes him a troll.

That, plus he is still using Microsoft operating systems on his computer.

He is afraid to migrate to Linux, or is incapable of doing so. I would
answer him directly but I no longer see his posts (blocked).

You, on the other hand, have valid comments AND you also assist others
occasionally.

You are a plus, the other is ?????????????

--


Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
(For email, remove the obvious from my address)

Quote from George Ankner:
If you knew as much as you think you know,
You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
 
A

Alexander Suhovey

-----Original Message-----
From: Mamamegs [mailto:[email protected]]
Posted At: Friday, November 24, 2006 2:45 PM
Posted To: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Conversation: every user of the open source Linux system
could owe Microsoft money
Subject: Re: every user of the open source Linux system could
owe Microsoft money
Do you have any info on which exactly part of SUSE distros is seen by
Microsoft as its IP?
[...]
Does anybody has more info on this one?

http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,20801247^273
18%5E%5Enbv%5E15306-15321,00.html

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=1255
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2006/111606-schwartz-slams-microsoft-no
vell.html

Hey, thanks for the links, though I didn't find exactly what I was
looking for (see my question above). Oh well...

FYI, here's some first-hand info on topic for anybody interested:

Announcements:
http://www.novell.com/linux/microsoft/
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2006/nov06/11-02MSNovellPR.mspx

Controversy:
http://www.novell.com/linux/microsoft/community_open_letter.html
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2006/nov06/11-20Statement.mspx
 
A

Alexander Suhovey

-----Original Message-----
From: Andre Da Costa[ActiveWin] [mailto:[email protected]]
Posted At: Friday, November 24, 2006 6:21 PM
Posted To: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Conversation: every user of the open source Linux system
could owe Microsoft money
Subject: Re: every user of the open source Linux system could
owe Microsoft money

To each his own, if you like Linux, Mac OS X, Windows, Unix, Free BSD,
fine.

What this statement has to do with the topic discussed?
But why are we in this indoctrination mindset?

Huh? I don't see any indoctrination mindset here. While Micro is clearly
a troll and (s)he's agenda is not a secret to anyone watching this NG
any long, as they say, even monkey can produce a Shakespeare's poem if
it bangs a keyboard long enough.
In this case it is quite interesting topic about the another round in
never-ending war between OSS and proprietary software worlds. Aren't you
interested in what MS has to backup it's IP infringement statement?
I mean, really. What is it? $$$ only? Well, quite possible but
personally I doubt that. And it it's true that MS has patented something
that is widely used in Linux... that would be a bomb.
Lets just stick to Windows Vista, if you have an opinion about some better OS, go in
NeoWin forum.

Huh? (again) Are we talking about same topic or are you sending your
messages to the wrong one?...
 
M

MicroFox

since this richard guy doesnt see my posts can someone tell him he is stupid
for me?
thanks
 
A

Alexander Suhovey

-----Original Message-----
From: MicroFox [mailto:-]
Posted At: Friday, November 24, 2006 6:26 PM
Posted To: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Conversation: every user of the open source Linux system
could owe Microsoft money
Subject: Re: every user of the open source Linux system could
owe Microsoft money


sorry there is no troll here.

Micro, all you need to do is take a look at wikipedia's article on
internet trolling term and you'll see that definition apples very well
to your posts in this NG.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)
"In Internet terminology, a troll is a person who enters an established
community such as an online discussion forum and intentionally tries to
cause disruption, most often in the form of posting inflammatory,
off-topic, or otherwise inappropriate messages."

"Disruption" and "inflammatory" parts - exactly about you.
 
Ad

Advertisements

M

MicroFox

I have no reason to disrupt.

I just posted an article... what is your problem? This may not seem relevant
to you,
but it is.

If you want to have a boring life, paint the windows flag on your forehead
and
talk to yourself in the mirror.

Newsgroup vista.general is alive and about discussing all aspects about
Vista, including the impact it will have on technology of the future and
other platforms. If you don't like my views, you can skip this thread.

Its easy to call a person a troll... however that is your opinion.
And I have to tell you that you are wrong, even though you will not believe
me.




Alexander Suhovey said:
-----Original Message-----
From: MicroFox [mailto:-]
Posted At: Friday, November 24, 2006 6:26 PM
Posted To: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Conversation: every user of the open source Linux system
could owe Microsoft money
Subject: Re: every user of the open source Linux system could
owe Microsoft money


sorry there is no troll here.

Micro, all you need to do is take a look at wikipedia's article on
internet trolling term and you'll see that definition apples very well
to your posts in this NG.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)
"In Internet terminology, a troll is a person who enters an established
community such as an online discussion forum and intentionally tries to
cause disruption, most often in the form of posting inflammatory,
off-topic, or otherwise inappropriate messages."

"Disruption" and "inflammatory" parts - exactly about you.
 
M

MicroFox

If you think that this is a troll thread then why are you posting in it?
Gesh....

Ok you think Im a troll? You know the saying "don't feed the trolls"?
So now shooo.. and talk with other people who only agree with your views
about everything.



Alexander Suhovey said:
-----Original Message-----
From: Andre Da Costa[ActiveWin] [mailto:[email protected]]
Posted At: Friday, November 24, 2006 6:21 PM
Posted To: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Conversation: every user of the open source Linux system
could owe Microsoft money
Subject: Re: every user of the open source Linux system could
owe Microsoft money

To each his own, if you like Linux, Mac OS X, Windows, Unix, Free BSD,
fine.

What this statement has to do with the topic discussed?
But why are we in this indoctrination mindset?

Huh? I don't see any indoctrination mindset here. While Micro is clearly
a troll and (s)he's agenda is not a secret to anyone watching this NG
any long, as they say, even monkey can produce a Shakespeare's poem if
it bangs a keyboard long enough.
In this case it is quite interesting topic about the another round in
never-ending war between OSS and proprietary software worlds. Aren't you
interested in what MS has to backup it's IP infringement statement?
I mean, really. What is it? $$$ only? Well, quite possible but
personally I doubt that. And it it's true that MS has patented something
that is widely used in Linux... that would be a bomb.
Lets just stick to Windows Vista, if you have an opinion about some better OS, go in
NeoWin forum.

Huh? (again) Are we talking about same topic or are you sending your
messages to the wrong one?...
 
Ad

Advertisements

A

Alexander Suhovey

Micro,

Take a good look at your posts. What do you see? I see following:

"Vista/Microsoft is bad, Vista/Microsoft is ugly, you all are zealots with
Vista logo tatoos, oh look, look, yet another example how Vista is ba-a-ad,
and here another, and another..."

OK. We get your message. That's your opinion, thank you for sharing.

Now would you please be so kind to take a look at the name of this newsgroup
and note that this is not "...vista.general.bashing".
So your continous negative and counterproductive posts *IN THIS NEWSGROUP*
are exactly disturbing, inflamatory, trolling. It's not that I want you to
shut up, I will fight (well, maybe not literally) for your right to express
your opinions.

Just please, show some respect to this established community that is all
about HELPING EACHOTHER USING VISTA and find APPROPRIATE newsgroup for your
posts.


--
Alexander Suhovey

MicroFox said:
I have no reason to disrupt.

I just posted an article... what is your problem? This may not seem
relevant to you,
but it is.

If you want to have a boring life, paint the windows flag on your forehead
and
talk to yourself in the mirror.

Newsgroup vista.general is alive and about discussing all aspects about
Vista, including the impact it will have on technology of the future and
other platforms. If you don't like my views, you can skip this thread.

Its easy to call a person a troll... however that is your opinion.
And I have to tell you that you are wrong, even though you will not
believe me.




Alexander Suhovey said:
-----Original Message-----
From: MicroFox [mailto:-]
Posted At: Friday, November 24, 2006 6:26 PM
Posted To: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Conversation: every user of the open source Linux system
could owe Microsoft money
Subject: Re: every user of the open source Linux system could
owe Microsoft money


sorry there is no troll here.

Micro, all you need to do is take a look at wikipedia's article on
internet trolling term and you'll see that definition apples very well
to your posts in this NG.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)
"In Internet terminology, a troll is a person who enters an established
community such as an online discussion forum and intentionally tries to
cause disruption, most often in the form of posting inflammatory,
off-topic, or otherwise inappropriate messages."

"Disruption" and "inflammatory" parts - exactly about you.
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top