Ever lied about a qualification?

Reaction score
Went for a job interview recently & it was going very badly so showed them my MSc degree in IT from Boston Harbour University.

One of the interview panel started laughing and said he knew the university well & hoped i had not spent to much on it, his one only cost him $30.:D

Reaction score
I've never lied - but am suprised at the number of people that do..
We work for money, right?
So why not lie and earn more?
Could cost you the job, sure but then we're talking money!
I *might* be tempted to modify my CV the next time I need to use it!

Always been an honest person though, and I think people can see that..... So I expect my CV won't get driven away from the truth!

Still - angers me for those that have the disregard/disrespect to say they can do something they've never even tried; and see them still get the job!

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Get the job then? :D
No, but gained a good contact within the NHS.
Oh and the feed back was that they felt i slipped it in very well into the interview.
Sadly i came second on the day but it showed in their view that i could use different media resources;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I left school with one GCE O Level in English.

From the very first interview I told the prospective employers I had five O levels.

Nobody disbelieved me, nobody checked, I got jobs.

Taught me a valuable lesson, that the world is full of bulls******s and it's a dog eat dog world.

You get by on your wits, who you know and not what you know and what you can actually do, not what that piece of paper says you can do.

And, most importantly, how you interact with your work colleagues and how well you suss who's out to get you in the workplace.

Sad but true.

At my age though I haven't had to lie for quite some time ;)

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Taught me a valuable lesson, that the world is full of bulls******s and it's a dog eat dog world.

You get by on your wits, who you know and not what you know and what you can actually do, not what that piece of paper says you can do.

And, most importantly, how you interact with your work colleagues and how well you suss who's out to get you in the workplace.

Sad but true.

I agree wholeheartedly!

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I left school with one GCE O Level in English.

From the very first interview I told the prospective employers I had five O levels.

Nobody disbelieved me, nobody checked, I got jobs.

Sad but true.

At my age though I haven't had to lie for quite some time ;)

I find it terribly sad that so much weight is given to those annoying bits of paper.
The point is 'do you know your stuff?' & a degree (or not) is no indicator of that.

My 8yo dyslexic son knows more biology than i did at the end of my 7th form (final) year because he loves to watch David Attenbourough documentaries.
He enjoyed learning it more too.
It's the same info, so why is it that this manner of learning it is dismissed & discredited?
Because someone went to the trouble to try & make it interesting?

& then there's the university degree vs experience...
What's the beef... if you can do the job how does it matter how you learned it?
It's mostly snobbery as far as I can tell.

My answer...

No, I haven't. Don't think I could.

But my Father did many times.
Whatever he may have lacked as a human being
He was definitely a very intelligent man.
But he had no school qualifications & couldn't be bothered with university.
He would just teach himself (he was a ferocious reader, practical experimenter & inventor)
When he was interested in something he would learn everything there was available to know about it.
Then he'd get bored... & move on to the next thing.
He had some very interesting careers over time though (Not to mention an assortment of names over the years)
He was head computer engineer on the Wanganui computer (NZ'ds primary govt intelligence database of the time) In the eighties, during the cold war, using a fake qualification.
He worked there several years before he got caught.
So much for our govt's intelligence :rolleyes:

Whenever I would watch the series "The Pretender" I would always think of him :nod:
Although generally intellectual curiosity was his motivation.
Empathy & compassion were not my father's strong points.

Reaction score
I tried to get certified once; the doctors agreed I was A OK with an IQ of 146.

That cant be correct I replied as on Pcreview they say I am as mad as a hatter.

:D

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
& we would certainly be much more qualified to judge, due to our long experience in the field :rolleyes:

:nod: :p

Reaction score
cirianz said:
& we would certainly be much more qualified to judge, due to our long experience in the field :rolleyes:

nod.gif
:p

In the battlefield aye:lol:

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
feckit said:
I'm as sane as the next person, unless thats Murdoch:rolleyes:

Hmmmm.... :rolleyes:

Well, being qualified on the basis of long experience.
Not to mention certified... as soon as itsme stops hogging the queue anyway :rolleyes:
I would have to agree... :nod:

No, not nearly as sane as murdoch :p

But maybe the next person :rolleyes:

Reaction score
cirianz said:
engarde... Rapier wits at play
nod.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

To whit-to-whoo I is on my own.... well most the time, the doctors have left me alone; for now anyways:D

Ask a Question