event id 213

JA

i am getting a ton of event log messages with event id 213 from
licenseservice.
here is the full description

replication of license information failed because the license logging
service
on server server.company.com could not be contacted.

server.company.com is no longer in the domain. that was taken out a long
time ago
so i'm not sure if it was a domain controller or not. i think i'm getting
the
error because its still in the registry, or active directory? how do i go
back
and clean out the active directory for orphaned servers like this?

i found instructions on how to remove orphaned domains from active directory
but not orphaned servers. i don't want to remove the entire domain.

David Brandt [MSFT]

You can use the following to removed crashed/orphaned/etc dc's - basically
the same steps as doing the domain but you just go a little farther down the
tree;
216498 HOW TO: Remove Data in Active Directory After an Unsuccessful Domain
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=216498

You can also look as see who is handling the licensing, and if it is that
same server change it to another of you open your AD sites/services,
highlight your site, and then double click on the "licensing site settings"
on the right.

--
David Brandt
Microsoft Corporation

newsgroup purposes only.

Laura A. Robinson [MVP]

You can use the following to removed crashed/orphaned/etc dc's - basically
the same steps as doing the domain but you just go a little farther down the
tree;
216498 HOW TO: Remove Data in Active Directory After an Unsuccessful Domain
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=216498

You can also look as see who is handling the licensing, and if it is that
same server change it to another of you open your AD sites/services,
highlight your site, and then double click on the "licensing site settings"
on the right.
Or just disable the licensing service across the board. You aren't
required to use the licensing service, you're just required to be
legally licensed.

Laura

David Pharr [MSFT]

You actually have two issues that were covered by the two previous posts -
David gave you the steps to remove the metadata of an old DC that was not
properly demoted. That may not eliminate the 213 events if that old DC was
the Site License Server and his post also provided you with step instructs
to fix that. The article that corresponds to his second step is listed
below:

296681 Event ID 213 is Generated After You Demote the Domain Controller
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=296681

Laura's advice of turning off the License Logging Service will also prevent
the error from occurring.

David Pharr, (e-mail address removed)

| From: Laura A. Robinson [MVP] <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.setu
p,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.
active_directory