Windows XP Event ID 1508

Reaction score
Hi,

My computer was working fine yesterday. Was turned off and restarted today but I'm getting 2 errors. I can't login to my profile but instead a default profile is started. I'm on a domain.

First error,
Source: Usernev
Event ID: 1508
Windows was unable to load the registry. This is often caused by insufficient memory or insufficient security rights.

DETAIL - The system has attempted to load or restore a file into the registry, but the specified file is not in a registry file format. for C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\\UsrClass.dat

**I logged in in safe mode and renamed the usrclass.dat to .old, rebooted and tried my profile but got the same error and logged into the default profile. My profile has full admin rights

Second Error,
Source: Usernev
Event ID: 1508
Windows cannot load the user's profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system.

DETAIL - The system has attempted to load or restore a file into the registry, but the specified file is not in a registry file format.

Any ideas would be a great help, the only thing new that I can see on the pc is service pack 3, which I would prefer not to remove

Ask a Question