ETHERNET & TOKEN RING

Frank Blaumauer

I have a server Windoes 2000 SP4 in which I have an Intel
Ethernet Adapter and IBM Token Ring Adapter wich both work
fine in the Windows Environment as far as Accressing
shares on server via either NIC Adapter.
However, when I attempt to connect to this server via Dos
IP Diskette in order to perform an unattended install from
that server I cannot connect unless I either disable the
Token Ring Adapter or disable File Sharing on the Token
Ring Adapter.
If file & print sharing are turned off on the TOKEN Ring
Adapter I have no problem connecting to the server via DOS
TCPIP diskette and am able to perform an Unattended
Install. As soon As enable the Token Ring Adapter or
reenable File Sharing on Token Ring Adapter I can no
longer access the Server via DOS Ethernet TCPIP.The
binding order I believe the default binding order is IEEE
802.3 Ethernet then 802.5 Token Ring, therfore I am
perplexed as to why the Token Ring Adapter is interfiering
with my Ethernet Adapter in a DOS environment. On the
server, the ethernet Adapter and tokenring adapter are set
for seperate networks. And again, this is only a problem
when I attempt to connect to server in a DOS environment.
I know not many people deal with token ring anymore but
any ideas would be appreciated.

regards
Frank Blaumauer
Server Support IBM

Gary Fose [MSFT]

Hi Frank,

Check both adapters and make sure only one of them has a default gateway configured on
the adapter. This may be what is causing the issue.

Hope this helps,
Gary

--------------------
'--'From: "Frank Blaumauer" <[email protected]>
'--'Sender: "Frank Blaumauer" <[email protected]>
'--'Subject: ETHERNET & TOKEN RING
'--'Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 12:00:10 -0700
'--'Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking
'--'
[...]

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included
script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best
directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.