Ethernet Problem - I beleive

Reaction score
My knowledge of diagnosing network problems is somewhat lacking, so I hope I posted in the right place as I do beleive it's a hardware problem, maybe you can correct me. Here goes:

My computer has recently been dropping my internet connection, well this is what I thought at first, but after some looking around it's almost like it freezes up my ethernet port on my motherboard! when I try and change any settings once this has occured the program freezes, like even disabling the Local Area connection 2 in Network Connections. This problem is solved by a swift restart (using the front panel because it doesn't restart within windows) But as you know this is VERY inconvenient!

IT did it a couple of days back, so I updated the drivers to the latest ones on the ASUS website and it seemed to have corrected it, but it went back to doing it again today, does it about every 1-2 hours. It lets no packets/traffic through at all!

• Operating System:Windows XP

• Anti Virus Software : Windows FireWall, Nod32 (disabled)

• Anti Spyware Software : e.g. AdAware 2007

• How do you connect to the net : ADSL Router (Belkin)
  • Your Computer Specifications -
Asus PK5C Motherboard Socket 775 Chipset P35 - The Ethernet adapter is Attansic 10/100/1000Mbps Etehrnet Utility
Intel Core2Duo E6850 + Radeon 2900XT <--- All that might be relevant. Ask for more details.
It's a pretty recently built computer, but it didn't do it for the first 2 weeks I had it!

Just trying to think of main changes that I did to the machine, but none come to mind! I'll update if I remember anything.

So, yeah.. Thanks for any help!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I know very little on the subject, but I would be swapping out my Router first ... Vista has very good diagnostics, it kicks in automatically, when/if you encounter a network problem.

One good place is to simply check the Windows Event Viewer and see if there are any entries in the event logs that can shed any light on your problem. But, another way to assess the overall health of your system and find clues to help you solve problems is by using the Network Diagnostics tool built into Windows XP.

With the Network Diagnostics tool, you can perform a scan of your system and test network connectivity and whether or not your network-related programs and services are functional. It gathers a variety of basic information about the computer system which can be helpful when given to a support person trying to help you troubleshoot your system.

To get to the Network Diagnostics tool in Windows XP, follow these steps:
  1. Click Start
  2. Click Help and Support
  3. Click on the Fixing A Problem link
  4. Click on Networking Problems
  5. Click on Diagnose network configuration and run automated networking tests
You may want to have a read ... http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb456996.aspx

user.gif

Reaction score
Heh, i'm not that much of a twonk! :p No it doesn't but no lights are flashing on the connectivity icon.

And Muck, I'm waitingfor it to do it again to do that auto diagnostics, as it's coming up clear when i'm not experiencing it, thanks for your help :)

Reaction score
Here's a log of why my network adapter failed :(

Network Adapters

[00000010] Attansic L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Controller

FAILED
Caption = [00000010] Attansic L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Controller
DatabasePath = %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc
- DefaultIPGateway = 192.168.0.1(Same Subnet) (FAILED)
Pinging 192.168.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)
Description = Attansic L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport
DHCPEnabled = TRUE
DHCPLeaseExpires = 22:52:53 03/09/2008
DHCPLeaseObtained = 22:52:53 04/09/2007
- DHCPServer = 192.168.0.1 (FAILED)
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
DNSDomain = Belkin54grwp
DNSEnabledForWINSResolution = FALSE
DNSHostName = silverstone09
- DNSServerSearchOrder = 192.168.0.1 (FAILED)
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
DomainDNSRegistrationEnabled = FALSE
FullDNSRegistrationEnabled = TRUE
GatewayCostMetric = 20
Index = 10
+ IPAddress = 192.168.0.2 (PASSED)
Pinging 192.168.0.2 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.0.2: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=0
Ping statistics for 192.168.0.2:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss)
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
IPConnectionMetric = 20
IPEnabled = TRUE
IPFilterSecurityEnabled = FALSE
IPSecPermitIPProtocols = 0
IPSecPermitTCPPorts = 0
IPSecPermitUDPPorts = 0
IPSubnet = 255.255.255.0
IPXEnabled = FALSE
MACAddress = *****************
ServiceName = AtcL001
SettingID = {FDD1FE74-8B48-4C91-917D-B0D0B09777EE}
TcpipNetbiosOptions = 0
WINSEnableLMHostsLookup = TRUE

Reaction score
1. you cannot restart from the start button? bad. you may have malware or misbehaving freeware.
1a. neither malware nor freeware care anything about how they use memory and subsequently lock up your pc, or cause it to loose functionality.
1b. your malware may have taken over your pc and is now acting as a server. it has bandwidth. you don't. the server takes a while to get going, and that's why you can maybe work for a few minutes.

2. look at the back side of the pc where the network cable is connected. are there any lights by that network cable? are they on? do they blink?

Reaction score
The restart button would work, but I on't have one for a lot of reasons. But restart in windows doesn't work, it seems like it tries to close the network ports on shut down but can't (I Can't do it manually either) I'll check next time i does it thanks Temmu.

Reaction score
i have similar problem, new rig, p5k mobo with attansic L1 onboard ethernet card. network connection go down after awhile and can only restart the connection with a reboot. so i did some digging and i saw this page, in the "known bugs/problems" section, list #2.

http://www.hogchain.net/attansic/attansic.html

problem description matched 99%, the rig have more than 4gb of ram and have heavy network traffic occasionally, connection will stay during low traffic sessions. only difference is that i'm running windows not linux. but hardware is the same and i couldn't find a newer driver version to get the problem go away... haven't decided what to do yet, but most likely i'll disable the onboard nic and replace it, if it troubles me too much.

btw, in my case, the restart in windows works. just that it usually takes good few minuets to get to the shutting down screen.

hope this helps.

Reaction score
I solved all my problems by removing everything that plugs in to the computer, PSU leads, Memory, cards and everything else I could find.
I then brushed and hoovered everything and got it spotlessly clean.
Reassembled everything computer works as it should and is perfect again.
I did buy a new 4 Port Wireless Broadband Router before the clean, so I have a spare.
Prior to the clean I had so many intermitent faults, like the computer switching off whenever it felt like it amongst other things.
Hope this can be usefull to others and it is well worth a try and costs nothing.

Reaction score
good!

as pc's age, the heating / cooling cycle loosens everything.
a card prolly worked its way loose and you re-seated it thus restoring its electrical contacts.

Ask a Question