Error

Jeff Thoele

I get this message when I "Reply Group"

Outlook Express could not post your message. Subject 'Re: Problem',
Account: 'news.aioe.org', Server: 'news.aioe.org', Protocol: NNTP, Server
Response: '441 Too many quoted lines', Port: 119, Secure(SSL): No, Server
Error: 441, Error Number: 0x800CCCA9

Paul

Alias said:
You gotta snip most of the post you're replying to or aioe won't let you
post. It has nothing to do with Outhouse Distress.

http://www.aioe.org/index.php?terms-of-use

"Quoted, blank and empty lines must be less than 80% of total body."

Snipping some of the quoted text, may help meet the required upper percentage limit.
And then the posting will be accepted by that server.

If you quote an entire 350 line posting, and write "Me too" at the bottom of it,
that would be well over the 80% ratio limitation. Your message would then
be rejected.

The AIOE server has extensive filtering rules, and you have to think
carefully before pushing the post button. Another rule is about multi-posts.
No two of your messages, can have the same checksum. If I tried to post
this message to AIOE, and the attempt failed (even a glitch on the server
could do that), I would make a trivial change to the message, such as
adding an extra period at the end of the last sentence before attempting
to post it - that changes the checksum enough for the post to be accepted..

HTH,
Paul

VanguardLH

Jeff said:
I get this message when I "Reply Group"

Outlook Express could not post your message. Subject 'Re: Problem',
Account: 'news.aioe.org', Server: 'news.aioe.org', Protocol: NNTP, Server
Response: '441 Too many quoted lines', Port: 119, Secure(SSL): No, Server
Error: 441, Error Number: 0x800CCCA9

That's part of the anti-abuse quotas at AIOE. You are expected to trim
your posts as part of Usenet netiquette. You keep enough of the quoted
content to give context to your reply. You don't just lazy leave
everything the way your newswriter puts it in a new message compose
window. When you reply, you trim the quoted content (unless it is very
short already) and you completely cut out the signatures. If other
posters have made a garbaged mess of mixing top- and bottom-posted
messages, you rearrange your quoted content to be in the same order as
your preference. OE/WLM users are notoriously lazy but the netiquette
applies no matter what NNTP client you choose to use.

Go visit www.aioe.org to read about their anti-abuse quotas. There are
more quota enforcements than just those mentioned on their home page.
Look around their site to find them all (and they may not all be listed
as the operator makes changes and it's awhile before he updates his web
site). It is the ridiculous small messages-per-day maximum quota why I
don't waste time using AIOE anymore.

Rob

It is the ridiculous small messages-per-day maximum quota why I

What's a good newsserver to use. Possibly free.

I use news.individual.net which works great, carries all of
the NGs I use and has spam filtering. It's not free, but at
10 Euros a year, it's near enough for me.
http://www.news.individual.net/
I looked at several free newservers first but found they didn't
carry all the groups I wanted.

HTH,

Nil

I use news.individual.net which works great, carries all of
the NGs I use and has spam filtering. It's not free, but at
10 Euros a year, it's near enough for me.
http://www.news.individual.net/

Here's another vote for individual.net. Very reliable and well worth
the small cost.

I use eternal-september and aioe as backups.

Jeff Thoele

Nil said:
Here's another vote for individual.net. Very reliable and well worth
the small cost.

I use eternal-september and aioe as backups

I'm trying to get individual.net in Outlook Express and here's what I get.

480 Authentication required.

Configuration:
Account: news.individual.net
Server: news.individual.net
Protocol: NNTP
Port: 119
Secure(SSL): 0
Error Number: 480
Code: 800ccca4
..

Nil

I'm trying to get individual.net in Outlook Express and here's
what I get.

480 Authentication required.

You have to apply and pay for an account there. It's not free. You will
then receive a logon ID and password.

From <https://news.individual.net/register.php>:

"Registration - Signing up at News.Individual.NET

Access to Usenet with News.Individual.NET requires a paid account. If
you already have an account for News.Individual.NET, please go straigth
to "My Account", log in, and reactivate your account by paying 10 EUR
for one year of usage. If you don't have an account, you can create one
by completing our registration process below.

If you want to check the quality of our service without obligation
before deciding if you want to pay for it, you can choose during
registration that you would like a free two-week trial account.

During the registration process, the content of the contract will be
explained to you step by step, and you can enter your personal data
required for registration. If you have any questions, please check our
FAQ, and don't hesitate to contact us by e-mail at
(e-mail address removed)."

jim

Jeff Thoele said:
I get this message when I "Reply Group"

Outlook Express could not post your message. Subject 'Re: Problem',
Account: 'news.aioe.org', Server: 'news.aioe.org', Protocol: NNTP, Server
Response: '441 Too many quoted lines', Port: 119, Secure(SSL): No, Server
Error: 441, Error Number: 0x800CCCA9

Instead of using news.aioe.org , try using news.eternal-September.org .
Does not restrict , but it has free registration . Been using it for years
..

VanguardLH

Jeff said:
It is the ridiculous small messages-per-day maximum quota why I

What's a good newsserver to use. Possibly free.

Albasani.net (I use this one)
Eternal-September.org (I've used this one in the past)

Both are registered free NNTP providers: you register to use their free
service. Unregistered free NNTP servers, like AIOE, are getting so rife
with crap posts that many users now filter out any posts originating
from those sources.

You could also ask over in the alt.free.newsservers group for
suggestions. Some free NNTP providers are highly erratic (they're up,
they're down, they're not working), like Teranews.

Jeff Thoele

jim said:
Instead of using news.aioe.org , try using news.eternal-September.org .
Does not restrict , but it has free registration . Been using it for years
.

Thanks for all the help, I've now got news.eternal-september.org and it is a
good one.
thanks again,
Jeff