error notice

Jo Smith

Dial up account.
Windows 98 SE
I can connect to my ISP, but when I try to browse [open
IE ] the IE6 error screen appears. IE does not open.

I can ping my ISP, yahoo's IP address & www.yahoo.com. 4
sent, 4 replies.

I've uninstalled DUN & TCP/IP. [ KB 241344 ]. I've
scanned for viruses by slaving the hard drive into a 2nd
PC.

Clean boot troubleshooting [ KB 192926 ] did not resolve
the issue.

Repairing IE did not resolve the issue. Using the IE
repair tool in Add/Remove programs to uninstall IE6,
returning to IE 5, did not fix the issue.

Don:
There is no classic error message. All that appears is
that darned 3 x 5 grey XP/IE6 message, informing me that
an error has occured. Would I like to send the
information to Microsoft?

I fixed the problem by:
removing viruses - found only by Panda [ byte verify ];
not detected by Norton and PC-Cillin;
repairing IE6, then removing IE 6;
removing spyware with Spybot & Ad-Aware;
using clean boot troubleshooting [ win 98 ] to determine
that sys.reg had hijacked IE;
re-installing IE 6.
Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may participate.

.