Windows XP Error Messages

Reaction score
I keep seeing a message flash across the monitor when I shut down, but it scrolls by so fast I can't read all of it, I did manage to see "dll failure". I pressed the Pause/Break key the next time I shut down but it didn't stop or even slow down. How do I stop it so the error can be read?"

Looking to perhaps find the error mentioned above, I went to Event Viewer and saw two errors but I don't know how to correct them nor am I sure that they are the ones that appear of my shut down screen.

Both sources were "Service Control Manager" with Event errors: 7023 and 7000. The explanation for 7023 was "The computer Browser service terminated with the following error > The operation returned because the timeout period expired."

7000 explanation was "The Viewpoint Manager Service failed to start due to the following error > The system cannot find the specified path.

Now I have 3 things that perhaps need fixing but I sure do need some assistance from someone that knows about these kinds of errors (that leaves me out).

Thank you in advance for any fixes or suggestions that help me, help myself.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
welcome to PCR

feckit said:
Operating System info would help us to help you more?
Well, not being to bright meself, but as this is listed in the Win XP forum I'd say it was Win XP being used ... I could be wrong. :p

I would be interested in the make of computer ... however, it does sound like a driver issue, are they all up to date? Something is not terminating correctly.

:user:

Reaction score
Yes, feckit, you guessed correctly, Win XP Sp2 is my operating system. As far as I know, all drivers are either up-to-date and all are operating correctly according to Device Manager. My computer is a Dell Dimension 2350.

It's obvious that something isn't terminating correctly, we can tell that by the error message. The point is WHAT.

Reaction score
muckshifter, please read my reply to feckit. Excuse me but I replied to him when I should have replied to you. But the information I supplied is for you both.

No one yet has come up with a solution and that's why I posted, but I'm still hoping and waiting.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Oh don't worry who you replied to, I keep an eye on everything ... sometimes. ;)

If you recently removed a program or a Windows component from the computer by deleting it manually, related information that is still on your computer may be causing the problem.

Have you checked Device Manager for any yellow exclamation/question marks?

Rollback to a date when this didn't happen ... clutching straws now. :rolleyes:

I'm not really familiar with "shutdown" problems, never really come across many.

Being it's a Dell, I would suggest looking at the "decrapifier" program, may help to get rid of some of the junk the likes of Dell "trial" out with their systems.

you may wanna look at ...

http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php

:user:

Reaction score
Muckshifter, I don't have a problem with the computer shutting down, it's just that before it does some sort of message appears that leaves the screen before I can read what it says. The link you provided might help if I knew what to look for.
Device Manager shows no problems (no yellow question marks), everything is operating normally, so it says.

If I knew exactly what day the messages started appearing I could check System Restore. I really didn't mark down the date because I thought it would go away once I ran disk defrag, and my registery cleaner. Obviously I was mistaken.

Please explain what Dell Decrapifier is and if legit. where will I find it?

Ask a Question