Windows XP error message

Reaction score
I have Windows XP, Norton Suite, and a firewall.
My PC frequently shuts down, showing the message "Windows has recovered from a serious error"
and showing error number oxoooooo8e. When I look it up on Google, i am referred to this site.
Can anyone help?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi beaconhill and welcome to the site. :)

Can you load up the event viewer and copy/paste the full error message from the time your PC crashed and rebooted, as that error code isn't enough to go on. You can find out how to load up the event viewer here : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427

Do you get a blue screen crash and then the PC resets?

Reaction score
I managed to copy and paste the most recent error message and the followup. Does this help?

BCCode : 19 BCP1 : 00000020 BCP2 : 8951BC18 BCP3 : 8951C008

BCP4 : 0A7EF8A8 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 768_1

C:\DOCUME~1\BOBMAX~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER4049.dir00\Mini012610-02.dmp

C:\DOCUME~1\BOBMAX~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER4049.dir00\sysdata.xml

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
welcome to PCR

I don't care for Ian's link, most people are still lost ...

Your first "problem" is how you wrote the error code, it should read ... stop error 0X0000008E ... which is a general hardware failure error code.

This general indication of a hardware failure is often quite difficult to pin down.

If you know a little about PCs, follow the usual hardware troubleshooting protocols, in particular ...

Roll-back any recent hardware or driver changes; ensure that RAM sticks are matched and undamaged; check for viruses or hard drive damage; run ChkDsk to identify file system problems; ensure that all connections are sound inside the computer and all cards well-seated.

In a lot of cases most people are not up to the task and you may need to consult a professional shop for hardware diagnosis and repair.

:user:

Ask a Question