From: austen1507
Subject: Error Message 0x80501001
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 10:22:50 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.private.security.spyware.signatures

Thank you both for the quick response.

Questions that I have know:

Dave,
In regards to the instructions from the previous post on June 15:
1. I've searched for zip files and came up with 85 files - where do I
start? Perhaps too many to go through.
2. Where do you find the "clear check box for scan inside archives"? Is
this part of Windows Defender or is this else where? When I go into options
for WD I don't have that option.
3. Delete all but the last system restore point - I'm not that technically
savvy and not sure what this really means and knowing me I will probably mess
something up.

Tom,
How did you manually remove the Power Reg Scheduler file? I did a search
and it's not showing up?

Once again, your help is greatly appreciated.

Laurie

Dave M

Laurie;

1- In Windows Defender there's not a unique log of activity only for WD,
instead it's mixed in with the other system events. So do this:
Look at your Control Panel > Admin Tools > Event Viewer > System > View >
Filter on Event source: WinDefend
Look at the Warning events ( and right click to view the properties) around
the time that the threat was detected, see if you can spot where the error
occurred and that would indicate the file that triggered the alert. If
it's in a compressed (Zipped) archive you can remove just the offending
part or entire archive manually. If it's in a quarantined file you can
manually delete the quarantined file. If it's in an older restore
checkpoint see 3 below.

2- Notice the scroll bar on the right of the Options screen in Windows
Defender, scroll down for more options.

3- To create a new restore point Start > Programs > Accessories > System
Tools > System Restore > select Create a restore point > enter any
description > click Create
To clean up all but the most recent restore point Start > Programs >
Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup > More Options tab > System
Restore > Clean up button