Error Code: 0x800405aa

Joshua

Hi Y'all. I have a problem. Our pc at small office U-haul
store is getting a problem Error Code: 0x800405aa when
trying to login to WinXP. After selecting login profile
during startup, windows will hang for 5-10 min then asked
to restart or logoff windows. It does this all the time...
I need help

ERROR CODE "A problem is preventing Windows from
accurately checking license for this computer. ERROR CODE
0x800405aa.."

I tried:
1. Tried to take computer back to "last known good
configuration" (same thing happened)

2. Safe Mode: I select F8 as XP bootup. I see "Safe Mode",
but I am not allowed to select it. Only "Normal Startup"
(I am not able to scroll up or down)

Does anyone have any suggestions. I couldn't get into
Bio's......not that I'm an expert anyway. PC is a XP, P4,
256RAM, 40G drive... I cannot get into the pc to do disk
scan
Thanks for your help

Sriram.V

Hi Joshua

This usually indicates you did not correctly set the partition size in
Target Designer. It's important that the Embedded tools and FBA know the
destination partition size. If the true size is grossly incorrect compared
to your property settings in Target Designer you will receive this error.
You can verify or modify the setting within Target Designer by following
these steps

Open your configuration in Target Designer.
Click the Settings node, located near the top in the root of this
configuration.
You should now see a list of links in the configuration user interface (UI)
in the right pane. Click on Target Device Settings.
Under that heading, click Show. This dynamic HTML will expand, showing you
detailed target configuration settings.
Scroll down to locate the Boot Partition size (MB) setting
You will see here that the default value is 1024 MB. This setting assumes
that your destination partition will be approximately 1 GB in size. Change
this to indicate what the target device partition size will be when you
deploy the runtime. Note: If you get the target device partition size close
that's fine; however, it must not be grossly incorrect.
Note that the next setting, Partition cluster size, can be safely ignored.
It will not affect your runtime's functionality. It is only used by Target
Designer to estimate the runtime's footprint during the check dependency
and build phases. Changing this value to match the destination partitions
cluster size will simply make Target Designer's footprint estimates more
accurate.
IMPORTANT: If you did change the Boot partition value, you must re-run
check dependency before rebuilding the runtime. Otherwise the runtime will
continue to fail

Regards
Sriram.V

(e-mail address removed)

| From: "Joshua" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Joshua" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Error Code: 0x800405aa
| Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 08:39:53 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
|
| Hi Y'all. I have a problem. Our pc at small office U-haul
| store is getting a problem Error Code: 0x800405aa when
| trying to login to WinXP. After selecting login profile
| during startup, windows will hang for 5-10 min then asked
| to restart or logoff windows. It does this all the time...
| I need help
|
| ERROR CODE "A problem is preventing Windows from
| accurately checking license for this computer. ERROR CODE
| 0x800405aa.."
|
| I tried:
| 1. Tried to take computer back to "last known good
| configuration" (same thing happened)
|
| 2. Safe Mode: I select F8 as XP bootup. I see "Safe Mode",
| but I am not allowed to select it. Only "Normal Startup"
| (I am not able to scroll up or down)
|
| Does anyone have any suggestions. I couldn't get into
| Bio's......not that I'm an expert anyway. PC is a XP, P4,
| 256RAM, 40G drive... I cannot get into the pc to do disk
| scan
| Thanks for your help

Sriram.V

Hi Joshua

This problem has another solution

This problem is caused by changing the system drive letter or by changing
the default security provider.

If your system drive letter has changed, undo the actions that caused it,
or:

1. Use the Registry Editor to navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography\Defaults\Provider.

2. In each Provider key, edit the Image Path value to match the new drive
letter.

3. When you are finished, exit the Registry Editor and shutdown / restart
your computer.

If the default security provider has changed:

1. Restart your computer in Safe mode by pressing F8 during startup.

2. Use the Registry Editor to delete the following keys:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography\Providers

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography\Providers

3. Exit the Registry Editor and shutdown / restart your computer.