Windows XP Error 54

Reaction score
Can anybody help?? My PC boots up ok and I use Google as my home page, but when I try to enter something in the search box, the cursor won't appear. However, if I use the google seach facility at the top of the page, it's ok. Similarly, when I try to enter my user name and password to access my e-mail, I can't get the cursor to appear.

The 'Error 54' message appears when I try to edit or load photos in Photoshop. The dialogue box "Error 54 - unspecified error" comes up, I can clear it, by clicking on 'X', but as soon as I move the mouse it reappears.

I've run a full virus scan on Avast, but nothing is apparent.

Anybody got any ideas or a solution?

Thanks

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Dave, welcome to the forums. :)

Are you able to type in any single line text boxes in the browser, such as the search box on yahoo.com. Also, which browser are you using?

Reaction score
Many thanks for your reply. I use Interenet Explorer, which opens me to Google home page. For some reason, I can't get the cursor into the search box in this. I've also got the Google search box on the Tool bar, and this is ok - i.e I can type my search in the search box. I tried Yahoo as the home page, and it's the same, the cursor won't appear. Similarly, when I accessed PC review, I couldn't type in my user and password in the boxes, so I had to use a different computer. It's the same when I get my e-mail site - I can't get the cursor into the boxes for name and password. In all other respects the mouse and cursor work - I boot up, and can select Explorer and all other programs, but it seems that when a text box is in the middle of my screen, nothing happens when I click the mouse to get the cursor.

I've tried a virus check - but nothing was apparent, and accessing Explorer from the list of programs, in case there was a problem with the shortcut, but again, it made no difference.

if anyone can throw any light on the reason, I'd be very grateful!!

Best wishes

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Is this Internet Explorer 8? If so, can you try running it in safe mode by going to : Start menu-> All Programs-> Accessories-> System Tools-> Internet Explorer (no Add-ons). That will load IE in a basic state without any addons and if that works it will narrow down the problems.

If that fails, can you try running "sfc /scannow" from the command prompt using these instructions and it will see if there are any errors with your system files:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...ddocs/en-us/system_file_checker.mspx?mfr=true

Reaction score
Thanks again for the reply. I think the problem must have been with Internet Explorer, or Google. I've now downloaded Mozilla Firefox, and it lets me type my search in the appropriate search box. Additionally, I can now get into my e-mail!! Previously, I got the 'name;' and 'password' boxes up, but couldn't type into them.

Many thanks for taking time on my enquiry.

regards

Dave Hill

Ian Cunningham said:
Hi Dave, welcome to the forums. :)

Are you able to type in any single line text boxes in the browser, such as the search box on yahoo.com. Also, which browser are you using?

Reaction score
Disk Error

Hi, first time here.
I just did a clean HD from a DELL Latitude / D531.
It wasn't booting at all. I used the HD as external HD but now I found another DELL (same model)
Now, I'll like to re-install XP (I have the manufacture XP CD from Dell). I did a reboot from the CD, installed the system. But now. At reboot it says "Disk Error, Press any key to continue." But it won't let me do it. It keeps repeating the error. I haven't done anything to the BIOS.

Thanks on any help.

decobug

Last edited:

Ask a Question