From: "Kevin" <[email protected]>
Subject: error 1077 when attempting to start print spooler
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 17:26:56 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing

one of three units in small office networked together. Got
virus in spite of Nortons anti virus. reloaded via
recovery cd win2K. Thought I had it all back together,
but noticed I didn't have printer anymore HP940C.
Attempted to "add printer", response "lack of resources.
Printer subsystem is unavailable". MS search yielded
issues with spooler service being available to local
system account (actually error 1068) but checked it out
just the same. when attempting to start service, response
is "could not start print spooler service on local
computer. Error 1077: No attempts to start the service
have been made since the last boot."
--

Most of the time this message is caused by third-party port monitors or print providers. Check the following registry key for
third-party monitors, removing any non-default monitors after you export the key as a backup:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors

The default port monitors are:

AppleTalk Printing Devices (When Services for Macintosh is installed)
BJ Language Monitor
Local Port
PJL Language Monitor
Standard TCP/IP Port
USB Monitor
Windows NT Fax Monitor
LPR Port

Also, check the following registry key for third-party print providers, remove any non-default print providers after you export
the key as a backup:

KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Providers

The default print providers are:

Internet Print Provider
LanMan Print Services

Some additional information can be found in the article below.

260142 - How to Troubleshoot Windows 2000 Printing Problems
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];260142

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

Bill,

Apparently after looking further, I have several services
that aren't starting up. I'm not sure why but when
attempting to start the ones that are supposed to be
automatic, they all yield the same 1077 error message as
below.

I saved a startup log and I don't have a clue what it's
trying to tell me or how to fixit. It is pasted below
and maybe you can see what it's doing. Thanks in advance.

3/2/2004 10:27:32 AM BROWSER Error None
8032 N/A SHIRLEY The browser service has
failed to retrieve the backup list too many times on
transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{1B8AA7A7-A7B8-4674-B18B-
50A154BBAE7C}. The backup browser is stopping.
3/2/2004 10:26:10 AM DCOM Error None
10010 SHIRLEY\Shirley1 SHIRLEY The
server {1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF} did not
register with DCOM within the required timeout.
3/2/2004 10:25:40 AM DCOM Error None
10010 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SHIRLEY The
server {1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF} did not
register with DCOM within the required timeout.
3/2/2004 10:25:32 AM BROWSER Warning None
8021 N/A SHIRLEY The browser was unable to
retrieve a list of servers from the browser master \\PATS
on the network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{1B8AA7A7-A7B8-4674-
B18B-50A154BBAE7C}. The data is the error code.
3/2/2004 10:25:13 AM Service Control Manager
Error None 7001 N/A SHIRLEY The
Remote Access Connection Manager service depends on the
Telephony service which failed to start because of the
following error:
No attempts to start the service have been made since the
last boot.
3/2/2004 10:24:48 AM Dhcp Warning None
1007 N/A SHIRLEY Your computer has
automatically configured the IP address for the Network
Card with network address 00038A000011. The IP address
being used is 169.254.101.152.
3/2/2004 10:23:47 AM Service Control Manager
Error None 7001 N/A SHIRLEY The
Windows Service Pack Installer update service service
depends on the Security Accounts Manager service which
failed to start because of the following error:
No attempts to start the service have been made since the
last boot.
3/2/2004 10:23:46 AM EventLog
Information None 6005 N/A SHIRLEY
The Event log service was started.
3/2/2004 10:23:46 AM EventLog
Information None 6009 N/A SHIRLEY
Microsoft (R) Windows 2000 (R) 5.0 2195 Service
Pack 4 Uniprocessor Free.
3/2/2004 10:23:47 AM Service Control Manager
Error None 7001 N/A SHIRLEY The
System Event Notification service depends on the COM+
Event System service which failed to start because of the
following error:
No attempts to start the service have been made since the
last boot.
3/2/2004 10:20:51 AM EventLog
Information None 6006 N/A SHIRLEY
The Event log service was stopped.
3/2/2004 10:20:51 AM DCOM Error None
[...]

newsgroup/thread

Bill Peele [MS]

From: <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 16:52:38 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing

[...]

---

We are kind of getting out of the realm of printing now. Start by making sure the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service is
started. If it is not try to start it and see what happens. If it is then I would suggested searching our KB for "event id ####",
where #### is the event number. You may find some helpful articles about some of these messages. I would also
checking the following web site for information on Event IDs.

http://eventid.net/