Epson Scan Fails to Load for Perfection 3170

dc

Since about the time I installed SP2 for Windows XP I have been unable to
use my Epson 3170 scanner. When I attempt to load Epson Scan it crashes
immediately after the splash screen appears with the standard Windows
exception message "escndv.exe has encountered a problem and needs to
close".

I have removed all software components for the scanner--drivers and
programs--a number of times and attempted a clean reinstall of Epson Scan
1.22a from the original CD. I have also tried the new version of Epson Scan
from the Epson website (v2.34a). Both fail with the same result after the
splash screen appears.

Epson email support has thus far proved useless and has only recommended I
try what I told them I had already attempted... a clean reinstall.

I have tried searching for some answers on the NewSoft website but didn't
see anything of use. I believe they are only responsible for creating the
Smart Panel software package, which I am not using. It is the Epson Scan
module that is failing when loaded.

Anyone have any solutions to this?

tHANKS,

CSM1

@hotmail.com> wrote in message
[...]

SP2 causes strange problems with some software.
Un-install Epson driver, (Control Panel>Add Remove Programs) reboot and
install the latest software.

Also try removing the USB Controller in Device Manager and reboot, Window XP
will then renew the USB drivers.

Download (again) and install the latest driver from Epson for 3170.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/...=35836301&infoType=Downloads&platform=Windows

dc

Did you use the registry cleaning tool from Newsoft?

I didn't find one.

I did however manage to fix the problem through further deliberate
correspondence with Epson. I'll outline what they suggested here in case
anyone else experiences this problem in the future.

1: uninstall the scanner from the Device Manager and uninstall Epson Scan
from the Add/Remove Program control panel. (did this part before)

2: search for and remove any of the follow files from the HD:
Twain.log, Twain001.mtx, Twunk001.mtx, Twunk002.mtx, Twunk003.mtx

3: remove the Epson directory from C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\

4: remove the Epson Scan group from the Windows registry under both
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Epson\
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Epson\

5: reboot and reinstall Epson Scan

It's probably the deleted registry key that fixes the problem, and no
doubt the New Soft registry tool does just that... if you can manage to
find where it is hidden away.

Ron

Well, I had a similar problems because of two things: There was other
scanner software on my computer which conflicted with Epson's (in my
case it was Canon's, which I think you can reload AFTER the Epson if for
any reason you wanted to do that) and I plugged in the USB cable BEFORE
your computer. Unfortunately, the error messages are not very specific.
Incidentally, when I had my problems the Epson help desk person was
great, and she indicated I was not alone. Hope this helps a bit.

rogerD

I have had exactly this problem with my Epson Perfection 2480 whic
had been working for 18 months and suddenly gave up with th
"escndv.exe" message apart when I used the Copy Cente
option. I had been trying to sort it out with Epson for some tim
with multiple re-installs and removing variuos software. Then I foun
this site. This fix, particularly the Registry part worked perfectly
Thanks to DC for supplying it and over a year later it is still
great solution :D

Brilliant site

Djon

Firewall is often a problem. And of course, anything sold by Norton is
a problem.

If you have DSL your router is almost certainly the only firewall,
other than Microsoft's, that you want (ask your ISP). If you have three
firewalls, such as the router's, the one inherent in XP SP2, and the
one Norton et al wants to sell, you will inevitably have grief with
scanners.

DaveG

Sometime on Sun, 12 Feb 2006 07:02:53 -0800, Djon scribbled:
Firewall is often a problem. And of course, anything sold by Norton is
a problem.

If you have DSL your router is almost certainly the only firewall,
other than Microsoft's, that you want (ask your ISP). If you have three
firewalls, such as the router's, the one inherent in XP SP2, and the
one Norton et al wants to sell, you will inevitably have grief with
scanners.

I don't understand. Why is this? At most, the scanner s/w might want to
do an auto-check out on the 'net for updates but I don't any other reason
why a firewall of any type should affect it. Am I missing something?

Surfer!

DaveG said:
Sometime on Sun, 12 Feb 2006 07:02:53 -0800, Djon scribbled:

I don't understand. Why is this? At most, the scanner s/w might want to
do an auto-check out on the 'net for updates but I don't any other reason
why a firewall of any type should affect it. Am I missing something?

I must be missing something as well. Two scanners, Norton and no
problems. I can think of no good reason to run the XP firewall as well
as the Norton one, and the firewall in a router is a variable thing. It
might be nothing more than NAT or it might be a full-scale configurable
hardware firewall.

Djon

It's common knowledge that extra firewalls added on top of XP's own
and the DSL router's are specifically a scanner conflict problem.

The fix is easy: Go offline, turn off Microsoft's antivirus and
firewall, uninstall all non-Microsoft
firewalls and antivirus, uninstall and reinstall your scanner software.

Scan to confirm it's working. The only hitch you may run into is the
inability to uninstall Norton. If you can't do that you'll need help
from Norton, and they're reluctant.

Norton's resistance to uninstall was the single biggest cause of
problems with SP2 according to Sony techs with whom I've discussed
this. Maybe this has been fixed...but it was a marketing scam.

If you feel you are an expert , yet still have problems, good luck.

Surfer!

Djon said:
It's common knowledge that extra firewalls added on top of XP's own
and the DSL router's are specifically a scanner conflict problem.

The fix is easy: Go offline, turn off Microsoft's antivirus and
firewall, uninstall all non-Microsoft
firewalls and antivirus, uninstall and reinstall your scanner software.

Scan to confirm it's working. The only hitch you may run into is the
inability to uninstall Norton. If you can't do that you'll need help
from Norton, and they're reluctant.

Norton's resistance to uninstall was the single biggest cause of
problems with SP2 according to Sony techs with whom I've discussed
this. Maybe this has been fixed...but it was a marketing scam.

If you feel you are an expert , yet still have problems, good luck.

Mine is Norton but it turned the Windows firewall off when I installed
it - originally I turned the Windows one on to get some protection while
I downloaded the Windows updates. Having problems when running more
than one set of AV software is not new, and not confined to Norton.

I've no problems and no desire to uninstall the Norton firewall so I'll
cross that bridge (if necessary) if that day ever comes along - though
at present I can't think of a reason why it should.

Djon

Norton isn't "always" the villain, but if it's in a system it's always
the first suspect.

Scanner documentation usually warns about firewall conflicts, and the
problem in this thread began in relation to SP2, which strongly
suggests firewall issues.

Norton isn't the "only" bad fiirewall out there, but it's an especially
virulent source of conflicts. Norton firewall caused unique SP2
problems according to both Sony people and Microsoft's SP2
documentation. IMO Norton was fine on OS7 and Win 3.1.

I use Computer Associates' EZ Antivirus..updates several times daily in
the background ...but I don't use EZ's firewall... Microsoft's
firewall and my DSL router own firewall are more than enough.

With scanner application loading problems, the FIRST thing to suspect
is firewall conflict .... the solution involves getting offline,
shutting antivirus/firewall (better to uninstall) , installing and
testing scanner app, getting back online and updating the AV and NOT
any firewall other than XP's.

DaveG

Sometime on Mon, 13 Feb 2006 05:50:35 -0800, Djon scribbled:
It's common knowledge that extra firewalls added on top of XP's own
and the DSL router's are specifically a scanner conflict problem.

I didn't know that it was specific to scanners. I do of course know that
running multiple software firewalls on the same PC is Not A Good Thing(tm)
but still find it odd that it should specifically affect scanners.
Likewise I fail to see how an external firewall, eg in router could affect
it. Do have any links to explanations of this?
The fix is easy: Go offline, turn off Microsoft's antivirus and
firewall, uninstall all non-Microsoft firewalls and antivirus, uninstall
and reinstall your scanner software.

Scan to confirm it's working. The only hitch you may run into is the
inability to uninstall Norton. If you can't do that you'll need help
from Norton, and they're reluctant.

Norton's resistance to uninstall was the single biggest cause of
problems with SP2 according to Sony techs with whom I've discussed this.
Maybe this has been fixed...but it was a marketing scam.

When you mentioned multiple firewalls were you specifically referring to
Norton having a problem when mixed with another firewall and a scanner or
just firewalls in general and scanners?
If you feel you are an expert , yet still have problems, good luck.

Expert enough that I've dealt with many combinations of software on a
number of OS and don't recall firewalls of any sort being the cause of
scanning problems. But then there are so many esoteric problems which can
occur on todays complex systems that I have no expectation of coming
across all of them.

Djon

I used Norton antivirus on Mac OS7 and Microsoft Win3.1. None better.
It was inefficient for Windows 98 and it really hit the fan with XPSP2.
Yes, you can make it work, but it's been a lot of difficulty for a lot
of users. Ask someone who supports professional systems what they think
of Norton.

Beyond the standard firewall/scanner issue, many ASP (application
service provider) sites choke on firewalls other than Microsoft's,
which alone is reason to turn off Norton's. Norton has had a terrible
reputation for years with intrusive, conflict-causing products and
their antivirus/firewall was especially criticized in relation to
SP2...

"dc" noticed his problem specifically in relation to SP2....very big
clue.

If you're an expert, be happy.

DaveG

Sometime on Tue, 14 Feb 2006 05:27:35 -0800, Djon scribbled:
I used Norton antivirus on Mac OS7 and Microsoft Win3.1. None better.
It was inefficient for Windows 98 and it really hit the fan with XPSP2.
Yes, you can make it work, but it's been a lot of difficulty for a lot
of users. Ask someone who supports professional systems what they think
of Norton.

I do support professional systems and I know what I think of Norton. I
don't use it.
Beyond the standard firewall/scanner issue,

That's what I'm trying to find out about. Can you explain what you mean
by "the standard firewall/scanner issue" or point me at a site with the
information?
many ASP (application
service provider) sites choke on firewalls other than Microsoft's,
which alone is reason to turn off Norton's. Norton has had a terrible
reputation for years with intrusive, conflict-causing products and
their antivirus/firewall was especially criticized in relation to
SP2...

Personally, I don't use Windows so neither Norton nor MS firewall is an
issue for me. But I do support others who use WinXP and may use Norton so
I'd like to be prepared for possible scanning problems related to this
issue.

Djon

dave, this has been discussed on P.N, might be findable. Root around in
Microsoft related to SP2 problems and you may find what I found as
well, related specifically to Norton AV...maybe even to scanners, tho I
believe the problem isn't simply SP2/scanner but rather
SP2/Norton/scanner. You may find comments in your own scanner
documentation.

Sorry to be relaying what could well be urban legend, but advice to
muck around in registry etc is crazy as hell, loony-toons by contrast
to my simple and totally risk-free suggestion.

If you don't have a problem scanner with Norton to fis/confirm on your
own, you might also raise the question on another scanner board, such
as Yahoo's for Nikon 5000 or for Epson 4990...

DaveG

Sometime on Wed, 15 Feb 2006 05:43:52 -0800, Djon scribbled:
dave, this has been discussed on P.N, might be findable. Root around in
Microsoft related to SP2 problems and you may find what I found as
well, related specifically to Norton AV...maybe even to scanners, tho I
believe the problem isn't simply SP2/scanner but rather
SP2/Norton/scanner. You may find comments in your own scanner
documentation.

I've googled around a bit and so far not come up with anything concrete.
I'll spend a little more time looking though as this has me intrigued now.
Sorry to be relaying what could well be urban legend, but advice to
muck around in registry etc is crazy as hell, loony-toons by contrast
to my simple and totally risk-free suggestion.

Oh yeah. You should never need to mess around with the registry for this
sort of thing. For most people that's just asking for more trouble ;-)

Joined
Aug 31, 2006
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi Dave

If you really want to know the problem associated with the Epson Perf 3170 scanner, kindly start your computer in the SAFE MODE and then attempt loading the scanner driver from the safe mode. You'll receive a prompt specifying the problem and it is often Windows-based.

If the above strategy fails, go to microsoft.com and then download a "Windows Installer" that relates to your OS. If Windows XP and 2000 then you will need to download "Windows Script 5.6" after which you run the driver of the scanner to see whether it works.

Good Luck
AC

sukibarney

This works i got it from epson.

Thank you for contacting the Epson Connection.

Please follow the steps below to do a clean installation of the
Perfection 3170.

First thing we need to do is remove any files that have been installed
and start with a fresh installation.

1) Click on START, SETTINGS and CONTROL PANEL.
2) Double click on the SYSTEM folder and select the Device Manager
tab.
3) Remove the PERFECTION 3170 from under IMAGING DEVICE and/or UNKNOWN
or OTHER DEVICES by clicking on it and clicking REMOVE.
4) Disconnect the USB cable and close all open windows.
5) Click on START, SETTINGS and CONTROL PANEL.
6) Double click on ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS. Highlight EPSON SCAN and
click on ADD/REMOVE.

Now we need to remove specific references to the product in the
registry:

1. Click on START and then RUN.
2. In the Run window type in REGEDIT.
3. In the upper menu bar click on FILE, then EXPORT.
4. In the window that comes up, SAVE IN should be set to DESKTOP.
5. In the FILE NAME section at the bottom of the window type in
REGBACKUP.
6. EXPORT RANGE should have a dot next to ALL.
7. Click on SAVE.
8. Look in the column on the left and Click on the “+” sign next to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER 9. Click on the “+” sign next to SOFTWARE 10. Click
on the “+” sign next to Epson 11. Look for a folder name EPSON SCAN.
Right click on it and Delete it (if you don’t see it, then don’t
worry about it).
12. If you see a reference to your Epson product model, right click
and delete it.
13. Click on the “-“ signs next to EPSON, SOFTWARE, HKEY_CURRENT_USER
to close up this branch.
14. Click on the “+” sign next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE 15. Click on the
“+” sign next to SOFTWARE 16. Click on the “+” sign next to Epson 17.
Look for a folder name EPSON SCAN, Right click on it and Delete it (if
you don’t see it, then don’t worry about it).
18. If you see a reference to your Epson product model, right click
and delete it.
19. Click on the “-“ signs next to EPSON, SOFTWARE, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
to close up this branch.
20. Close the Registry Editor and restart your computer.

Reinstall

1) Insert the CD into the CD-ROM drive. If the CD doesn't start
automatically, double-click MY COMPUTER, double-click the EPSON
CD-ROM icon then double-click the EPSON icon
2) You will be prompted to disable any anti-virus software before
continuing with the installation. Click on CONTINUE to proceed with
the install.
3) Click on AGREE at the license agreement.
4) At the software installation screen, select only EPSON SCAN and
click INSTALL.
3) The installer will copy files to the system, click FINISH when
prompted.
4) When installation is complete click EXIT to close the main menu and
return to the desktop.
5) Connect the USB cable. Windows will tell you new hardware is found
and complete the install.
6) Your scanner is now ready to use.