Epson Perfection scanner installed in Win XP?

DK

Has anyone figured out how to install an Epson Perfection 636u scanner in
Windows XP?

It looks like Epson doesn't make a driver for XP so I downloaded and tried
installing the scanner's Win2k driver through Window's "add hardware"
feature. I then point it to the scanner's 636u driver, and at the end of the
installation it gives me an error and says it can't install the scanner.

Has anyone figured out a work-around?

EDJO

Hello, DK!
You wrote on Fri, 22 Oct 2004 16:23:41 -0500:

D> It looks like Epson doesn't make a driver for XP so I downloaded and
D> tried installing the scanner's Win2k driver through Window's "add
D> hardware" feature. I then point it to the scanner's 636u driver, and at
D> the end of the installation it gives me an error and says it can't
D> install the scanner.

D> Has anyone figured out a work-around?

I don't have the 636u, but Epson says installing the driver and software has
to be done before the scanner is connected.
Maybe that's the case with your scanner also....

With best regards, EDJO.

bmoag

Some Win2000 drivers will work in XP but many will not. It is my
understanding that the problem is not with the actual driver itself, as
WinXP is fundamentally similar to Win2000, but the way in which the inf file
(a text file) is written. There are ways around this but after reading the
explanations I found it easier to install Win9x in a dual boot system in
order to continue occasionally using a cherished old peripheral that did not
have XP drivers. Although a more modern peripheral may not be technically
superior to the old one you already have the newer one is alot more usable
if it has a working driver.

Tim

bmoag said:
Some Win2000 drivers will work in XP but many will not. It is my
understanding that the problem is not with the actual driver itself, as
WinXP is fundamentally similar to Win2000, but the way in which the inf file
(a text file) is written. There are ways around this but after reading the
explanations I found it easier to install Win9x in a dual boot system in
order to continue occasionally using a cherished old peripheral that did not
have XP drivers. Although a more modern peripheral may not be technically
superior to the old one you already have the newer one is alot more usable
if it has a working driver.

This scanner will not work in Win XP with tthe EPSON driver, sorry this is absolute.
Have you tried Vuescan or similar?

www.hamrick.com

George

DK said:
Has anyone figured out how to install an Epson Perfection 636u scanner in
Windows XP?

It looks like Epson doesn't make a driver for XP so I downloaded and tried
installing the scanner's Win2k driver through Window's "add hardware"
feature. I then point it to the scanner's 636u driver, and at the end of the
installation it gives me an error and says it can't install the scanner.

Has anyone figured out a work-around?

I downloaded the Windows 2000 device drivers and the Epson Scan II
utility. I added the scanner from the add/remove hardware and then
installed the Epson Scan program. I set the compatability mode on the
epscan.exe file to windows nt 4.0 (sp 5). I am now able to use the
Perfection 636u under windows xp pro, however, the default windows
imaging program won't recognize the scanner. I have to run the Epson
Scan II program and do all my scanning from there.

George