Epson Inks

Nodge

I have an Epson 2100 A3 printer which I am now using to regularly print A3
size prints. I am only using genuine Epson cartridges and I am getting very
good quality and no print problems whatseover. Even after returning from a 2
week holiday I did a nozzle check and had no blocked nozzles at all. Of
course the only problem is I'm spending a small fortune on ink and I'm now
considering changing to either compatible cartridges or something like a
Lyson continuous ink system. I've been steering clear of compatibles up to
now as I know people have problems with blocked nozzles with some of them.
I really do need to cut my costs though while retaining quality and
reliablility.
Any recommendations for either compatible carts or continuous ink systems?
Any to avoid? I might even consider getting another A3 printer just for use
on this project. I've always been happy with the print quality from Epsons
but i'm open to suggestions if there's a better solution.

Thanks

John

Jan Alter

I use a R1800 at home with compatible bulk ink and a dozen C84 printers at
school with bulk compatible ink from www.inksupply.com . I've been refilling
spongeless cartridges and resetting the chips with a chip resetter for
almost two years on both variety of machines. I like the results of the ink
with the R1800 just fine, and it is supposed to be just as archival as the
OEM. Once and a while I get a minor clog if I haven't used the printer in a
month, but the clog clears within one or two clean cycles. If you take a
look at the site you should find a few different choices of cartridges and
ink available from these folks. They have a good reputation as well as a
tech support department that shows itself to be quality.
There are at least half a dozen other companies around with decent
references and recommendations from other posters on this NG that will
get you quality ink.

Nodge

--
Jan Alter
(e-mail address removed)

Thanks for your comments Jan. I should have mentioned I'm in the UK so I'm
looking for a UK supplier. Problem is there are so many companies offering
compatible inks I'd like to start off with one that comes recommended from
someone who's used them for a while and had no problems.

John

gowanoh

I would use non-Epson inks only if you are willing to lose the printer.
The inks are ridiculously expensive but you knew that when you bought the
printer.
Do not be swayed by writers who claim to have no problems with non-Epson
inks. It just ain't so.
It is a fact that Epson print heads are extremely sensitive to any changes
in the physical properties of the inks and can be impossible to clear if
clogged.
A high quality continuous feed system is probably a better alternative but
is not necessarily cost effective unless you print alot. Again, be prepared
to lose the printer if something goes awry.
If color management is important to you, and it should be, if you switch
inks you will be lucky if you then do not have to prepare custom paper
profiles, presuming the non-Epson inks are consistent enough in quality to
make the effort worthwhile.

Jan Alter

In answer to John's question I gave a response for the newest printers I
(we) use as to keep the discussion to the most modern printers.
I am the IT person at our elementary school. We use more than 80 Epson
printers and have been accumulating them since 1998. Twelve of them are
C84's that I use them with refillable spongeless cartridges. The rest are
C82's, C80's, more than two dozen Epson Stylus 740's, with another dozen of
Epson Stylus 880's. And the ironic thing with the C84's is that when I used
the Epson OEM Durabrite ink in the very first six C84's every one of them
clogged within two years. It was at that point that I started the last dozen
with dye-base aftermarket ink and refilling cartridges; and these twelve all
are going fine. Well, almost fine. One of the C84's recently developed a
head delamination, but still runs and still puts out decent enough print. I
don't think I can attribute the problem to ink, but probably to faulty
materials, as older C84's we use have not displayed this event happening.
We have been using aftermarket cartridges in all of them since 1998,
and without complaint of any of the aftermarket ink causing headclogs. I
would guess that we've lost four or five printers during that time and
mostly to a CB's (circuit boards) going or pages not being pulled into the
printer correctly. When a printer dies these days it is from failed
electronics and not from the head not pushing ink. So when you suggest that
one should be ready to "lose the printer " for use of any third party ink I
have to wince and wonder what experience you have had to make you come to
that decision. From my nine years of use with this many printers I have
found the three or four brands of aftermarket ink we've used give very good
printing, virtually no difference in head clogging than the OEM ink, and
saved us thousands of dollars for what we would have spent buying Epson's
highly overpriced spread.
There are excellent third party inks available for Epsons as well as
other printers on the market. It is simply a matter of thinking outside of
the box, getting a little information, and reading what experiences other
users have had with particular brands of ink.

Arthur Entlich

I have no stake in any ink business, original OEM or 3rd party.

The information stated below by this poster is a load of C*AP.

People would be best to ignore this poster, he/she doesn't know what
they are speaking about. The generalities made are more often not true
than true.

It is true that SOME Epson ink formulations are fairly non-clogging (in
specific the Ultrachrome inks) but I have documented feedback that even
they clog. As for 3rd party inks, some are terrible, most are
equivalent to Epson, and some are superior. If what this person claimed
were true, the massive industry in 3rd party ink sales to Epson owners
would just not occur.

Art

measekite

Arthur said:
I have no stake in any ink business, original OEM or 3rd party.

The information stated below by this poster is a load of C*AP.
I think that gowanoh really knows what he is talking about. I do agree
with him.
People would be best to ignore this poster, he/she doesn't know what
they are speaking about. The generalities made are more often not
true than true.

It is true that SOME Epson ink formulations are fairly non-clogging
(in specific the Ultrachrome inks) but I have documented feedback that
even they clog. As for 3rd party inks, some are terrible, most are
equivalent to Epson, and some are superior. If what this person
claimed were true, the massive industry in 3rd party ink sales to
Epson owners would just not occur.

Art
Now since you are saying the same thing as me there will be a few idiots
who will claim that you are me and other idiots that claim I is you and
still other idiots that claim both.

Nodge

Thanks for the comments so far. It's obvious that 3rd party inks are very
variable. Some are not very good and give poor results and are prone to
clogging while others are much better and possibly equal to the Epson
originals. So what I want to know is which are which with respect to UK
suppliers. Anyone care to recommend someone?

TIA

me

I've been using Jettec on a Photo R320 and they seem fine. I'm on my
second or third set, so far.

Charles

Yianni

I suppose you use dye inks for the C8x series, am I right?

--
Yianni
(e-mail address removed)

measekite

Nodge said:
Thanks for the comments so far. It's obvious that 3rd party inks are very
variable. Some are not very good and give poor results and are prone to
clogging while others are much better and possibly equal to the Epson
originals.

Nothing is equal to Epson OEM ink for an Epson printer. Most notably are
the ultrachrome ink used on the 3800 printer.

measekite

NotMe said:

| Arthur Entlich wrote:
| > I have no stake in any ink business, original OEM or 3rd party.
| >
| > The information stated below by this poster is a load of C*AP.

| I think that gowanoh really knows what he is talking about. I do agree
| with him.

The general consensus plus real world experience suggest that you're both
full of sh|t.

Notme
We own several graphic arts studios. The last EPSON printers we've
pruchased were several years back.. We use exclusively aftermarket ink in
these machines so far none have failed at any of the studios.

Jim Ford

Nodge said:
Thanks for the comments so far. It's obvious that 3rd party inks are very
variable. Some are not very good and give poor results and are prone to
clogging while others are much better and possibly equal to the Epson
originals. So what I want to know is which are which with respect to UK
suppliers. Anyone care to recommend someone?

I have an Epson Stylus Photo 895 and was fed up with wasting ink (Epson
OEM and others) through constantly having to run cleaning cycles. The
cleaning cycles were not necessarily related to blocked nozzles, but
clearing air introduced when changing cartridges.

A few months ago I bought a 'Continuous Inking System' (CIS) from:

http://www.inkjetrevolution.com

I now _very_ rarely have to run cleaning cycles.

The ink that Inkjetrevolution supply is from:

http://www.ocp.de/

I get beautiful prints with the printer now, but have noticed problems
with fading. I mentioned this on the printing forum at www.dpreview.com
and was informed that _the_ major factor influencing durability is the
paper. I'm currently getting through 200 sheets of 'Black Diamond'
gloss, which I suspect is the cause of the problem (it was cheap!). When
I've finished the paper I'll try another make (Staples Premium comes
recommended).

Hope this helps.

Jim Ford

BTW, ignore postings by 'measekite' - he only repeats 'use OEM' ad nauseum!

Jan Alter

Yes. Originally Epson had the C84 using Dura-brite pigment ink.
Unfortunately for everyone the formula that Epson came up with to make it
eventually would clog the head making it next to impossible to clear.

NotMe

with fading. I mentioned this on the printing forum at www.dpreview.com
and was informed that _the_ major factor influencing durability is the
paper. I'm currently getting through 200 sheets of 'Black Diamond'
gloss, which I suspect is the cause of the problem (it was cheap!). When
I've finished the paper I'll try another make (Staples Premium comes
recommended).

Hope this helps.

Jim Ford

BTW, ignore postings by 'measekite' - he only repeats 'use OEM' ad
nauseum!

Jim, thanks for your input. The prints I am producing are on a commerecial
basis. ie being sold to customers so quality is very important to me. If you
are noticing fading after just a month or two then I wouldn't dare risk the
ink you are using. I'm not convinced about the problem being with the paper
and not the ink. I think Epson quote over 50 years for their paper & ink.

John

measekite

Jim said:
I have an Epson Stylus Photo 895 and was fed up with wasting ink
(Epson OEM and others) through constantly having to run cleaning
cycles. The cleaning cycles were not necessarily related to blocked
nozzles, but clearing air introduced when changing cartridges.

A few months ago I bought a 'Continuous Inking System' (CIS) from:

http://www.inkjetrevolution.com

I now _very_ rarely have to run cleaning cycles.

The ink that Inkjetrevolution supply is from:

http://www.ocp.de/

I get beautiful prints with the printer now, but have noticed problems
with fading.
Thats to be expected. Read Wilhelm Labs about using inferior ink.
I mentioned this on the printing forum at www.dpreview.com and was
informed that _the_ major factor influencing durability is the paper.
I'm currently getting through 200 sheets of 'Black Diamond' gloss,
which I suspect is the cause of the problem (it was cheap!).
Cheap and inexpensive are not the same thing.
When I've finished the paper I'll try another make (Staples Premium
comes recommended).

Hope this helps.

Jim Ford

BTW, ignore postings by 'measekite' - he only repeats 'use OEM' ad
nauseum!
I do not complain about fading ad nauseum do you?

measekite

Nodge wrote:

"Jim Ford" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Nodge wrote:

Thanks for the comments so far. It's obvious that 3rd party inks are

very

variable. Some are not very good and give poor results and are prone to clogging while others are much better and possibly equal to the Epson originals. So what I want to know is which are which with respect to UK suppliers. Anyone care to recommend someone?

I have an Epson Stylus Photo 895 and was fed up with wasting ink (Epson OEM and others) through constantly having to run cleaning cycles. The cleaning cycles were not necessarily related to blocked nozzles, but clearing air introduced when changing cartridges. A few months ago I bought a 'Continuous Inking System' (CIS) from: http://www.inkjetrevolution.com I now _very_ rarely have to run cleaning cycles. The ink that Inkjetrevolution supply is from: http://www.ocp.de/ I get beautiful prints with the printer now, but have noticed problems with fading. I mentioned this on the printing forum at www.dpreview.com and was informed that _the_ major factor influencing durability is the paper. I'm currently getting through 200 sheets of 'Black Diamond' gloss, which I suspect is the cause of the problem (it was cheap!). When I've finished the paper I'll try another make (Staples Premium comes recommended). Hope this helps. Jim Ford BTW, ignore postings by 'measekite' - he only repeats 'use OEM' ad

nauseum! Jim, thanks for your input. The prints I am producing are on a commerecial basis. ie being sold to customers so quality is very important to me.

That is why the expression customer beware came about.

If you are noticing fading after just a month or two then I wouldn't dare risk the ink you are using.

But after a year to two.

Nodge said:
Jim, thanks for your input. The prints I am producing are on a commerecial
basis. ie being sold to customers so quality is very important to me. If you
are noticing fading after just a month or two then I wouldn't dare risk the
ink you are using. I'm not convinced about the problem being with the paper
and not the ink. I think Epson quote over 50 years for their paper & ink.

The experts on the printer forum at www.dpreview.com are quite adamant
that paper is _the_ major factor in print durability (which surprised
me). You might like to ask your question(s) there.

Jim Ford