    a repair installation of Windows to fix something like this. I want it fixed
    but it isn't worth the pain and risk of a repair installation. Does anyone
    have any other ideas?

    Andrew M. Saucci, Jr., Nov 18, 2009

  2. It could be 3rd party software issue. For troubleshooting, try clean boot.
    Also check this search results.
    a.. xp sp
    Jump to Connect using a dial-up modem or VPN option in the New
    Connection ...?: ... Connect using a dial-up modem or VPN option in the New
    www.chicagotech.net/xpsp.htm - Similar

    a.. VPN connection unavailble
    The option to create a VPN connection unavailable (grayed out) ...
    Connect using a dial-up modem or VPN option in the New Connection Wizard is
    unavailable ...
    www.chicagotech.net/vpnissues/vpnunavailable.htm

    --
    Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE