Entering New Product Keys

I bought a used computer a while ago and i found out that the windows xp
installed was not leagal; so i purchased a new copy of windows xp pro with
sp2 integrated. is there anyway to update the "illeagal" copy of windows i
have without performing a clean install? i.e. can i re-enter the newly
purchased product keys and activate windows again?
thanks!

Thorsten Matzner

slimsuperior said:
I bought a used computer a while ago and i found out that the windows xp
installed was not leagal; so i purchased a new copy of windows xp pro with
sp2 integrated. is there anyway to update the "illeagal" copy of windows i
have without performing a clean install?

See "How to Change the Volume Licensing Product Key on a Windows XP
SP1-Based Computer" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=328874).

Carey Frisch [MVP]

You'll need to purchase a "Full Version" of Windows XP
Professional and then perform a "Repair Install". You cannot
simply change the Product Key.

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

:

| I bought a used computer a while ago and i found out that the windows xp
| installed was not leagal; so i purchased a new copy of windows xp pro with
| sp2 integrated. is there anyway to update the "illeagal" copy of windows i
| have without performing a clean install? i.e. can i re-enter the newly
| purchased product keys and activate windows again?
| thanks!
| --
| slim

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Thorsten,
This only applies to volume media, not to all media types.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: Thorsten Matzner <[email protected]>
<Subject: Re: Entering New Product Keys
<Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 19:37:12 +0200
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
<>have without performing a clean install?
<
<See "How to Change the Volume Licensing Product Key on a Windows XP
<SP1-Based Computer" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=328874).
<
<--
<(tm)
<ICQ: 192649233
<

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Carey,
Sure you can. There is scripting for volume licensing media which allows
for changing product key as well as the article that Thorsten references.
The Activation wizard allows you to change the product key as well for
other media types.
The thing you have to be careful is that you have to use the same media
type when you change product keys
If the installed OS was volume then you need a volume key.
If the installed media was Retail then you need a Retail product key.
We need to know what the PID is to tell what media it is.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <[email protected]>
<Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 15:38:04 -0500
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
<
<You'll need to purchase a "Full Version" of Windows XP
<Professional and then perform a "Repair Install". You cannot
<simply change the Product Key.
<
<How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
<http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
<
<[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]
<
<--
<Carey Frisch
<Microsoft MVP
<Windows XP - Shell/User
<Microsoft Newsgroups
<
<Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
<http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx
<
<---------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------
<
< "slimsuperior" wrote:
<
<| I bought a used computer a while ago and i found out that the windows xp
<| installed was not leagal; so i purchased a new copy of windows xp pro
with
<| sp2 integrated. is there anyway to update the "illeagal" copy of windows
<| have without performing a clean install? i.e. can i re-enter the newly
<| purchased product keys and activate windows again?
<| thanks!
<| --
<| slim
<

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Slim,
What is the PID on the machine? Just the first 8 characters.
Properties of "My Computer"
There is a twenty digit number in this format. xxxxx-xxx-xxxxxx-xxxxx
What are the first 8 digits? xxxxx-xxx
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: =?Utf-8?B?c2xpbXN1cGVyaW9y?= <[email protected]>