email problem

LisaK

I have always been able to get and send emails and suddenly out of the blue I
get this error message. I am not a computer person so please help in simple
english. Thanks!

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.charter.net', Server:
'pop.charter.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error:
10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Gary VanderMolen \(MVP\)

That error can be caused by interference from an antivirus program.
Which antivirus are you running? Some of them cause problems with
Windows Mail over time. As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus
should be turned off, although that may not be sufficient to eliminate
all bad effects. In a worst case scenario, your antivirus may need to be
uninstalled/reinstalled or replaced.

Email scanning in any antivirus should be disabled, for reasons
explained here:

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"LisaK" wrote in message
I have always been able to get and send emails and suddenly out of the blue I
get this error message. I am not a computer person so please help in simple
english. Thanks!

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.charter.net', Server:
'pop.charter.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error:
10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

celticdane

I have had no problems send emails until today. Received the below message;
I've ot made any changes to any settings. Thanks for your help.

The rejected e-mail address was 'info@the bluerockinn.com'. Subject
'Reservations?', Account: 'pop.hughes.net', Server: 'smtp.hughes.net',
Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '501 5.1.3 Bad recipient address syntax',
Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 501, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

Gary VanderMolen \(MVP\)

Like the error says, the recipient email address syntax is invalid.
An email address can't contain a space character, such as you have
after 'the' in info@the bluerockinn.com.

"celticdane" wrote in message
I have had no problems send emails until today. Received the below message;
I've ot made any changes to any settings. Thanks for your help.

The rejected e-mail address was 'info@the bluerockinn.com'. Subject
'Reservations?', Account: 'pop.hughes.net', Server: 'smtp.hughes.net',
Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '501 5.1.3 Bad recipient address syntax',
Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 501, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

celticdane

I did figure that out, finanlly. Thanks. But now I can't Receive emails and
the below message is what I get. I've rebooted with no luck and it's been a
couple of days now.

Account: 'pop.hughes.net', Server: 'pop.hughes.net', Protocol: POP3, Server
Response: '.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC18

Dave N9

According to this...
http://kb.hughesnet.com/al/12/2/1278.htm#Configure_Vista_for_HughesNet_E-mail

the incoming server name is
mail.hughes.net

Dave N.
MS-MVP (Mail)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64
http://download.live.com/wlmail
"celticdane" wrote in message

I did figure that out, finanlly. Thanks. But now I can't Receive emails and
the below message is what I get. I've rebooted with no luck and it's been a
couple of days now.

Account: 'pop.hughes.net', Server: 'pop.hughes.net', Protocol: POP3, Server
Response: '.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC18

Gary VanderMolen \(MVP\)

It should not matter. Both server names resolve to the same IP address.

"Dave N9" wrote in message
According to this...
http://kb.hughesnet.com/al/12/2/1278.htm#Configure_Vista_for_HughesNet_E-mail

the incoming server name is
mail.hughes.net

Dave N.
MS-MVP (Mail)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64
http://download.live.com/wlmail
"celticdane" wrote in message

I did figure that out, finanlly. Thanks. But now I can't Receive emails and
the below message is what I get. I've rebooted with no luck and it's been a
couple of days now.

Account: 'pop.hughes.net', Server: 'pop.hughes.net', Protocol: POP3, Server
Response: '.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC18

Gary VanderMolen \(MVP\)

Go to Tools, Accounts, select that mail account, Properties, Servers.
Make sure that "Log on using Secure Password Authentication" is not enabled.

If that setting was already unchecked, which antivirus are you running?
Some of them cause problems with Windows Mail over time.
Make sure your antivirus is not configured to scan emails.

Note: As Dave N9 pointed out, the server name should be mail.hughes.net
but I don't think that is causing your problem.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"celticdane" wrote in message
I did figure that out, finanlly. Thanks. But now I can't Receive emails and
the below message is what I get. I've rebooted with no luck and it's been a
couple of days now.

Account: 'pop.hughes.net', Server: 'pop.hughes.net', Protocol: POP3, Server
Response: '.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC18

celticdane

it was originally set up as pop and worked fine - and then it didn't. I
changed it to "mail." and it still didn't work - thanks for the link. Lots of
info. Any other suggestions?

Gary VanderMolen (MVP) said:
Like the error says, the recipient email address syntax is invalid.
An email address can't contain a space character, such as you have
after 'the' in info@the bluerockinn.com.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"celticdane" wrote in message

I have had no problems send emails until today. Received the below
message;
I've ot made any changes to any settings. Thanks for your help.

The rejected e-mail address was 'info@the bluerockinn.com'. Subject
'Reservations?', Account: 'pop.hughes.net', Server: 'smtp.hughes.net',
Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '501 5.1.3 Bad recipient address syntax',
Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 501, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

.

.

celticdane

That was it~! the pw was enabled - unchecked the box and the inbox took off!
Thanks so much!!!

Gary VanderMolen (MVP) said:
Like the error says, the recipient email address syntax is invalid.
An email address can't contain a space character, such as you have
after 'the' in info@the bluerockinn.com.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"celticdane" wrote in message
I have had no problems send emails until today. Received the below message;
I've ot made any changes to any settings. Thanks for your help.

The rejected e-mail address was 'info@the bluerockinn.com'. Subject
'Reservations?', Account: 'pop.hughes.net', Server: 'smtp.hughes.net',
Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '501 5.1.3 Bad recipient address syntax',
Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 501, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

.

.

Gary VanderMolen \(MVP\)

You're very welcome. Thanks for reporting back.