Eliminating Sync Partnerships

sam

How can I get rid of sync partnerships started on a computer running Vista
Ultimate with files on a computer running Windows XP? The Vista Help is not
helpful as it indicates "Right-click the sync partnership that you want to
end, and then click Delete. Some sync partnerships may not offer an option
to delete the partnership. If they don't have this option, try opening the
program or location where you set up the sync partnership to see if you can
turn it off or delete it using that program or location." There is no
delete option when I right click. I created the Sync partnerships in
Windows Explorer and it does not let me end the sync partnership. The
window XP machine only knows the folders are shared (and stopping sharing
does not help). At this point I just want the Vista machine to forget about
the sync partnership and get rid of its copy of the files. Any way to do
this?

Swingman

"sam" wrote in message ...

does not help). At this point I just want the Vista machine to forget
about the sync partnership and get rid of its copy of the files. Any way
to do this?

Right click on the applicable network file/folder(s) on the Vista machine
(they should have a different icon superimposed on the folder icon), then
uncheck "Make available offline". Vista will then immediately erase those
copies on the Vista machine.

sam

But what if you have already eliminated the sharing of the folder on the XP
computer? In this case you don't get a chance to uncheck "Make available
offline". In the sync center it show the status as disconnected but
Enabled.

Swingman

"sam" wrote in message
But what if you have already eliminated the sharing of the folder on the
XP computer? In this case you don't get a chance to uncheck "Make
available offline". In the sync center it show the status as disconnected
but

Did you try it? What I described worked just fine for me. If it didn't for
you, I apologize for wasting both our times.

sam

When I reapply share on the folder on the XP machine and reconnect to it on
the Vista computer I can right click on the network folder and uncheck "Make
available offline" but I still can't get rid of the share partnership that
corresponds to it in the sync center. So while I may not have the files
stored on the Vista computer I still have garbage sync partnerships.

Swingman

When I reapply share on the folder on the XP machine and reconnect to it
on the Vista computer I can right click on the network folder and uncheck
"Make available offline" but I still can't get rid of the share
partnership that corresponds to it in the sync center. So while I may not
have the files stored on the Vista computer I still have garbage sync
partnerships.

Do you want sync center to still be running?

If not select "offline files" in the Control Panel and disable "Offline
Files" ... that usually gets rid of the sync partnerships.

If you don't see "offline files" in Control Panel, type the phrase in
Start/Search.

sam

I stopped offline file (stopping sync center) but there is still a link in
my network folders to the offline files on the other (XP) computer which I
cannot get rid of . When I enable offline files and start sync center the
sync partnerships are still there even though there are no shared files with
the XP computer in them. It seems like there should be a simply way on just
clearing out the share links in the network folder and no longer wanted
partnerships in the sync center.