Elder Scrolls 4, Q and perhaps A

Reaction score
yes you would think so. But its totally unplayable with it on. I havent looked on the website to see if there is anything else about it, but i'm sure im not the only one.

And all my drivers are fine, updated recently, weird!

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Try the Beta drivers, they may fix it.
By the way, what kind of frame rates are you guy getting? what are your specs as well as settings?
thanks in advance?

Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
yes you would think so. But its totally unplayable with it on. I havent looked on the website to see if there is anything else about it, but i'm sure im not the only one.

And all my drivers are fine, updated recently, weird!

My friend has the exact same problem, he has a 512 card but doesnt know anything else about his pc:rolleyes:
so dont worry your not the only one! :D

Reaction score
I don't know about all that SLI stuff- but I've got some tweaks that really smoothed out the game for me, without any loss of image quality-

First off, make sure you download the the new 84.24 nVidia driver - it gives a massive boost in performance in Oblivion over previous drivers

Right, go into my documents/my games/oblivion/ and find the oblivion.ini file.
There is an option which controls the grass thickness - which is set too high really, as if you have thinner grass you can get a higher FPS or bump up the grass distance to compensate (which looks much better)

"iMinGrassSize=120" - It'll be set to 80 initially. If you're really struggling set it to 160 or something, but at 120 you won't see any graphical reduction.

If you have one gig of RAM, you can stop stuttering by doubling the RAM settings to the following-

uInterior Cell Buffer=6
uExterior Cell Buffer=77 (this might already be higher, if so leave it)

iPreloadSizeLimit=52428800 (You must change this number if you change the cell buffers)

I got about 5-10 FPS more by doing this - which made a big difference, making the lowest FPS I ever encounter about 25-30fps rather than about 15-20.

Reaction score
tomsega said:
First off, make sure you download the the new 84.24 nVidia driver - it gives a massive boost in performance in Oblivion over previous drivers

i cant find the download for 84.24, only the 84.21 version.

also thanks for those lil tweaks, any more would be much appreciated:)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Happy Burpday to me happy burpday to me ... sing up :rolleyes:

Well ... I went and treated myself ... been at it 3hrs, not got very far, but I'm enjoying it.
nod.gif

Took me 15mins to figure out how to drop something ... DOH!

Happy Burpday to me happy burpday to me Happy Burpday to me happy burpday to me Happy Burpday to me happy burpday to me Happy Burpday to me happy burpday to me Happy Burpday to me happy burpday to me.

happywave.gif

muckshifter

Reaction score
michael 118 said:
look who went and bought Oblivion :). now you can join in our topical discussions:D
Topical or Tropical ... so far I'm still in the underground, but then I'm always slow at these 'games' ... I always find the "pause" button first.

Haven't been killed yet ... came close though.
laughingsmiley.gif

Oh, I'm playing a Dark Elf ... err, I think. :D

Now I need to employ a man-servant so I can have my meals on time ... :p

Reaction score
you say you dont know much about these 'games'...tell me, what kind of fps are you getting mucks? and your graphics settings :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
michael 118 said:
you say you dont know much about these 'games'...tell me, what kind of fps are you getting mucks? and your graphics settings :)
Correct ... I don't know much about gaming, 'cos I have no idea how you find out what fps I'm running or how. :blush:

I'm primarily a PC builder, who knows a little about how it works ... when it comes to software, I'm a dab hand at finding out information needed.

Now, as I don't play games that often I have never bothered to see, find, or even been remotely interested on what fps I'm doing ... if it runs accetable as I 'think' it should, fine by me. However, the dam thing is only running @ 640 x 480 ... :confused: ... although I am about to try at a higher resolution ... it just takes me a little longer to "find" out how to do things when it comes to gaming ... probably why I don't do to much gaming is 'cos I never really have a 'games system' ... just what I can afford. :D

Mind you ... I'm all ears to learn. :thumb:

Reaction score
oh right :)

i thought..you know since your all high and mighty (and 54 :D) you would have a killer pc system.
but your enjoying the game though? :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
michael 118 said:
oh right :)

i thought..you know since your all high and mighty (and 54 :D) you would have a killer pc system.
but your enjoying the game though? :)
Oh I have innumerable gigabytes of information in my head, just some not relevant anymore. I learn something new everyday though. :thumb:

I have a Killer PC alright, it's just taking its time in killing me.
laughingsmiley.gif

I also see no reason to turn off other jobs that I'm doing ... but I'm enjoy playing the game so far, maybe when I get to see some trees & other stuff I'll see about getting a better graphics card ... though it is supposed to be fine on a 6600 in an SLi slot. No? ;)

muckshifter

Reaction score
michael 118 said:
well the bare minimum is a 6200. what card have you got mucks?
err, read my last post ... a 256 6600GT SLi ... I have increased the screen resolution in the game and it is actually very smooth. :thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
michael 118 said:
D'oh!

:confused:thought you were joking:confused:

im playing at a max screen res of 1024x768, yours any higher?
Yep ... I raised it up a little ... I was just surprised it set itself at 640x480, proably trying to play safe I suppose. :D

I'm not too fussed at the moment, it's better than anything I have played in a loooonnnggg time, I'm more intested in learning what buttons to press ... keep hitting the wrong ones or forgeting what does what. :rolleyes:

It's not too good with two pairs of glasses sitting on your nose, one for reading the book & one for looking at the monitor. :D

Now, do I turn left here, or right ... hang on, where is the map button again ...
laughingsmiley.gif

Covenant

Proud Cruncher
Reaction score
Sorry Muckshifter, but you're going to have to have at least a quick look at the manual just to see what all the different symbols mean, otherwise you end up missing information that can be quite important .......err
not that I'm at all nerdy or anything :D

BTW - if you need any help ganging up on these young upstarts then give me a shout, us 50 somethings have to stick together you know ;) Also , I found that a 21" monitor helped the eyesight problem, just don't tell anyone you have to set it to 640x480 to get the REALLY BIG icons

Covenant

muckshifter

Reaction score
Well I upped the resolution to 1024x768 ... and ... err, are there any patches to "fix" this thing? :confused:

The graphics keeps breaking up ... and it's a tad slow. :(

I tried dounloading a couple of 'patches' and they just told me I dont have the right files ????? :mad:

Now I'm starting to remember why I don't play games. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
The graphics keeps breaking up ... and it's a tad slow. :(

most of us have that slow problem...so unless you upgrade hardware then it wont be fixed. and the graphics breaking up....its most likely your graphics card mate, it sounds a bit worn out :D

Ask a Question