Elder Scrolls 4, Q and perhaps A

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
I have a few question that i have, i havent been able to find any definite answers to them. But perhaps you folks have the answers.
1. Does anyone know the recommended spec to run the game? i have heard rumors, like you need a 6800 or so video card, 512mb RAM, and a 2.0 GHz CPU... but no one seems to be sure on this.

2. Whens it comeing out and are there any demos? Once more ive heard rumors but they all take place in March, Heres Hoping!

Actually thats all the questions i have, if you have any answers, even if they are rumors or such, post em. Any info is welcomed, Thanks!

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
thanks, i wonder why they havent really released any good information or demos when it so close to release.

Reaction score
i read pc gamer and seeing the screenshots....wow. im only taking a calculated guess, but a 6800 will be ok, you'll need at least a gig of ram and 2.4/5 Ghz CPU. thats only if you want to run the game with most pretty effects on with a decent fps.

as for demos, the march 16th realese for pc gamer magazine will be reviewing the game but theres no mentioning of playable demos anytime soon.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
At www.elderscrolls.com there are movie demos that show you diffrent aspects of the game. good for anyone waiting for the game. i cant though, 56k is a major pain! :(

Reaction score
Demo? Pah! This is a free roaming RPG! There isn't really any way in which they could release a demo. It's not as if they could just release a single level.. and even if they gave you a small area to play with, the game is based upon being sent around all around the world in any quest. As a result, obviously they would have to effectively make a whole mini level with added borders and a minimally involving boring little quest if they wanted to make a demo.. Also, considering the scale and variety of the game, a demo wouldn't serve as a 'demonstration' anyway - and Bethesda are very proud, fussy, pedantic, fastidious, and all the other things that constitute not being up for releasing cheapy demos.

But hey - the wait is nearly over now, anyway! Only 4 weeks!

EDIT: The official spec is on the Oblivion website now. A 6800gs should look really good, and if Bethesda are telling the truth it should be smoother than the likes of FEAR and Call of Duty in comparative resolutions. Personanlly I spent about £800 purely for this game!! Dear me..

Last edited:

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
having such a good system would definatly help, i wonder how my 6800gt would play

Reaction score
michael 118 said:
haha, you dont need a brilliant system to play the game

I don't know... Part of the appeal of a free roaming RPG like this is the feeling of being absorbed in it. This game in particular has masses of forestry, hidden little villages, giant architecture, underground dungeons, and lots of other things dotted around 16 miles of effective play area, that will really benefit from the best technology available. It is a fantasy game, afterall - and its great to see fantasies realised realisticly. You might have enjoyed Lord of the Rings - but I'm sure you wouldn't have if the CGI looked like it was from 1988!!

A powerful graphics card - just like a brilliant 5.1 sound system and a big high definition monitor - is bound to make you enjoy the experience more. Granted, some of what I feel are the greatest games of all time were for the Sega Saturn - so graphics aren't of THAT much importance - but to really get into it, I think you'd need a 6800 or better.

Last edited:

Covenant

Proud Cruncher
Reaction score
Of course the 6800gt will be brilliant - mind you I'm only saying that 'cause I've just upgraded to one :)

Covenant

Reaction score
i had a look at pcgamer and their best guess for the complete minimum running system playing at 1024x768 is 2.0Ghz, a gig of ram and Radeon 9800/GeForce 5800.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
cant wait! only 10-12 more days, but troble is brewing for me as my PSU died a few weeks ago and i dont have cash for a new one!:(

Reaction score
Hmm.... Which makes me hope there might be some reviews out in the next week or so.

I really hope so. I'm hoping - if the game is as worthy of all the hype in my mind - that it'll get a few 95%'s and 96%'s in a few publifications..

I preordered mine today! Aarrgh!!

Reaction score
i have seen a short clip of the game, with some action in the dungeon. all i can say is.. w.o.w. hopefully an upgrade will show me the games full potential :)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
I'm sure everyone has seen screen shot of Oblivion, but what i want to know, what is the system running for thos screens shots. Even more, what is powering the game during the tech demos at www.elderscrolls.com ?

Reaction score
it was playtested by pcgamer and they were playing on a Athlon 64 Fx 55 (about 4.2Ghz of processing power), a Gf 7800 and a gig of ram. they were saying it played at max settings on 1280x1024 with a perfect Fps. thats probably what those clips were played on

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
darn, thats means my 6800 GT will be much slower. at least i can play it.

Ask a Question