Bargain El Cheapo Computer

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
£270.00 including Philips 19" widescreen monitor.

We get a fair few people posting here asking for a cheap ready built computer just to do office work, surf the net and play music, that sortta thing.

Well, this is probably the best deal I've seen for a low end machine.

The graphics are built in and it probably won't play DVD's back at pristine quality. It certainly won't play many games.

But check out the rest of the spec, the sum of the parts costs more than the asking price.

If all you want to do is Word Documents, view pix, edit music, surf the net and other basic stuff, this is for you.

It comes with Windows Vista but you only get a recovery partition on the hard disk with it. You will probably get a Vista serial number with it (can't vouch for that) and if you do and you can get your hands on a copy of Vista somehow, you'll be able to reinastall should things go belly up.

Failing that, if you get yourself a non-curable virus or the OS crashes, you'll have to pay around £70.00 for Vista Home Premium or around £90.00 for XP Pro and do a fresh install.

I am imagining the worst possible scenario here though and this setup is no different from that offered by Dell, Compaq, HP, Smeg (er, sorry - Mesh) and countless others.

Anyways, if you is a student or somebody just wanting the basics, I'd get your order in now, the first lot have sold out, next delivery March 31st.

Link to Big Pockets

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That's a very good price indeed for a dual core system with 2GB ram!

Nice find :)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Top find Flopp's...Very hard to beat that deal anywhere! with monitor aswell makes it even sweeter..:nod:

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Cracking crunching machine Flops :wave:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Second lot sold out, third lot due April 7th.

My goodness, it's a fair priced machine, is it not?

Not for me but for some it's ideal.

I wish something like this had been about when I built me Mum's computer, this would have suited her fine.

Reaction score
hi there, new to this forum and looking for a wee bit of help. i am looking for a desktop computer to basically set up in my flat and able to cope with all my internet connections etc (i also have a laptop currently used on wireless. I am pretty clueless when it comes to computers but was wondering if my laptop is on windows xp whilst the desktop mentioned in this thread is vista. Does this make any difference? will my laptop etc. still work? Also, is this desktop computer suggested here ample for running internet and storing music etc? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers, Al

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
bigal1983 said:
hi there, new to this forum and looking for a wee bit of help. i am looking for a desktop computer to basically set up in my flat and able to cope with all my internet connections etc (i also have a laptop currently used on wireless. I am pretty clueless when it comes to computers but was wondering if my laptop is on windows xp whilst the desktop mentioned in this thread is vista. Does this make any difference? will my laptop etc. still work? Also, is this desktop computer suggested here ample for running internet and storing music etc? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers, Al

Does not matter if the two pc's are running different versions of windows .

The Big Pockets pc will do all you want just fine and danndy . If you stuck a £40 graphics card in it you would be able to play tons of games aswell .

happywave.gif

Reaction score
thank you for your extremely swift reply. it is greatly appreciated. Without sounding too thick, are they quite a requitable company to order in advance with? especially with it not being in stock until 16th April. Thanks again for your time.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
bigal1983 said:
thank you for your extremely swift reply. it is greatly appreciated. Without sounding too thick, are they quite a requitable company to order in advance with? especially with it not being in stock until 16th April. Thanks again for your time.
Yep, they are a big company and have been around a long time - not known of any problems with them myself :thumb:

Reaction score
Great stuff. cheers very much. I think i shall be purchasing this for delivery mid-April. Many thanks.

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Had loads of stuff from them, even know Dave..the city link driver..:lol:

Reaction score
:lol: i'll send your regards then. Good to know all this just to keep my mind at ease, being a student these are big decisions. lol:D

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Little pockets now

damn could`nt resist it ...ordered 4th shipment..April 21st...:)

Ask a Question