From: "ellie" <>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sent: Saturday, December 06, 2003 8:56 PM
Subject: edit scanned document

How do you edit a document scanned using optical character recognition? I
scan it in to MY Documents but cannot edit it.

Hello Ellie,
Those of us who have been scanning both documents and
images can sometimes forget where we began ages ago :-(

I've never been able to use Word for OCR text scanning. I've read that it
requires a MS Add-in as part of the MS Imaging software.

Most scanners come with an OCR software.
1) Open WordPad (having previously made sure your OCR icon is showing on the
task bar)
2) File
3) on the very bottom of the file menu either the name of your scanner or
the scanner
OCR software should appear (if it does NOT, than you will need to ad
WordPad
into the acceptable software's for your scanner. See MFG directions.)
4) If the name is present, click on that name and your scanner software
should open
5) you will then need to select the type of image your are scanning, for
text it will be
LINE ART
6) prescan (for a good image to assure a good read of text, it is a good
idea to have
the initial warm-up scan proceed for approx. 20 seconds)
7) out line the image, if it's multiple columns, experience has taught me to
do the
columns separately. Outline the column and scan.
8) When completed the text will go right in to WordPad.
9) Save the file as a DOC closing WordPad
10) Open Word and the file you saved and edit as you please.

Mike Williams [MVP]

lostinspace said:
I've never been able to use Word for OCR text scanning. I've read
that it requires a MS Add-in as part of the MS Imaging software.

Word has no OCR or scanning capability beyond being able to pick up results
from properly installed software that does this.

Office XP and Office 2003 include the Microsoft Office Document
Scanning/Imaging software, but you can use third-party scanning and OCR
software.