ebay, is it any good?

Reaction score
So what are peoples views on ebay then?
What happens if what you buy turns out not to work or is broken, what happens then?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
We've had a number of threads here about e-bay and the general consensus seems to be 'Use your head, be careful and you should be OK'

Seeing a seller's rating helps a great deal and you can usually - but not always - get a feel for the seller through their wording and Ad presentation.

I've bought about five things from E-Bay, never had a problem. Two of the sellers actually phoned me up during the transactions, both seemed like good peeps.

I don't know what protection, if any, E-Bay offer for broken deals or faulty goods, perhaps other more enlightened users can help here.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I don't know what protection, if any, E-Bay offer for broken deals or faulty goods, perhaps other more enlightened users can help here.
None!

Well, they say they do ... but just do a Google and see how eBay fair in a "dispute" ... they don't care. ;)

Nettie used them often ... got "cought" a few times :( sad to say she kept buying :rolleyes: ... was her money not mine. :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Had good experience here with ebay for the most part, although I wouldn't buy any expensive electrical items from there - just hobby and hard to find items :)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Adywebb bought an amplifier from a seller on ebay and he had no trouble whatsoever. If he is reading this he can tell you about it. However what Flops says is absolutely correct you must be very careful. Seller feedback is a very important consideration. If you intend to go ebay route read the small print on ebay for advise, plenty of guidelines are available for both seller and buyer. If the deal looks too good to be true it always is the case, do not get tempted.

Good Luck!

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
I have 280 transactions from ebay & 100%
There dispute service sucks ...absolutely ..they err on the side of buyers ...and you dont get a refund from cheques or cash unless its more than £15..and the vast majority are under that ..

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Quadophile said:
Adywebb bought an amplifier from a seller on ebay and he had no trouble whatsoever. If he is reading this he can tell you about it.
And a very good amplifier it was too Quad - I wonder who it was who guided me ;) - it is still running great and I get alot of enjoyment out of it.
I made contact with the seller before the sale was concluded, and he was more than willing to supply a phone number to ask questions.

As everyone else here says - eBay is great if you are sensible and take care :thumb:

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
is ebay any good?

Hello,
Have bought about 20 bits of pc stuff on ebay, including memory, hdd, cables, cards, cat 5 tools and bits. All ok so far but watch the postage and packing. Had one item replaced (my faulty ordering) and sending it back by recorded delivery was half what the seller charged despite only needing a tiny jiffy bag.
Cheers,
peahouse05;)

Ask a Question