Eating in the Fifties

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I'm sure all the older members will understand this.

EATING IN THE UK IN THE FIFTIES
Pasta had not been invented.

Curry was a surname.

A takeaway was a mathematical problem.

A pizza was something to do with a leaning tower.

Bananas and oranges only appeared at Christmas time.

All crisps were plain; the only choice we had was whether to put the salt on or not.

A Chinese chippy was a foreign carpenter.

Rice was a milk pudding, and never, ever part of our dinner.

A Big Mac was what we wore when it was raining.

Brown bread was something only poor people ate.

Oil was for lubricating, fat was for cooking

Tea was made in a teapot using tea leaves and never green.

Coffee was Camp, and came in a bottle.

Cubed sugar was regarded as posh.

Only Heinz made beans.

Fish didn't have fingers in those days.

Eating raw fish was called poverty, not sushi.

None of us had ever heard of yoghurt.

Healthy food consisted of anything edible.

People who didn't peel potatoes were regarded as lazy.

Indian restaurants were only found in India .

Cooking outside was called camping.

Seaweed was not a recognised food.

"Kebab" was not even a word never mind a food.

Sugar enjoyed a good press in those days, and was regarded as being white gold.

Prunes were medicinal.

Surprisingly muesli was readily available, it was called cattle feed.

Pineapples came in chunks in a tin; we had only ever seen a picture of a real one.

Water came out of the tap, if someone had suggested bottling it and charging more than petrol for it they would have become a laughing stock.

The one thing that we never ever had on our table in the fifties ... elbows!

Last edited:
Reaction score
:thumb:Oh I remember those days with fond memories, I can remember cycling to Whitfield village hall to collect the rashion books for Mum and Grandma. Oh happy days:D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Mostly true but we did have fish and chip shops and possibly Wimpy bars for takeaways. No supermarkets either and also no prepacked foods.

I can remember my Mum buying bacon in the co-op and watching it being sliced and then put into a brown paper bag. The co-op also had this pulley system for cash where money was put into small brass tubes then whisked off on a cable to a hole in the wall in the back of the shop.

Memories eh? I didn't taste curry until I was 14.

All in all though, things are better now methinks.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I am from that era as well, don't like flavoured chips but do enjoy plain one from time to time. I have been having rice pudding all my life and love it. Funny as it may seem, what poor people ate in those days mostly is considered healthy food today! Sushi by the Japanese and brown bread by the westerners. :lol: By the way I personally don't like sushi but love 9 or 12 grain bread.:nod:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig's_trotters

220px-Crubeens_2008.jpg

Me mum used to get trotters and make soups and brawn with them. Good healthy food. :thumb:

Reaction score
My gran used to do the same Abarbarian. Over here in the UK Quad we had what was called rashioning you had so much food that the family could buy from the grocer and the butcher and it included sweets you could buy and hand over the rashon ticket to the retailer otherwise you couldn't buy the items you wanted this was a left over from WW2. There were under the counter deals done with US servicemen if you had a base near you if they could get stuff out. rashioning ended in stages in the mid 1950's, I think sweets were the last thing to come off in about 1957( a Mars bar was 4 old pence) I dont think the US had war time rashoning on food or fuel but we did Quad.https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/members/abarbarian.html

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ah, rationing. Can't recall it myself but it was about when I was a kid. I can remember my Mum telling me that to be able to eat something sweet they made custard as two tablespoons sugar gave a lot of sweetness when mixed with some custard powder and a pint of milk.

Very few folk actually had fridges in the fifties, can you imagine that? Twas ok in the winter but in the summer trips to the local shop were frequent to get fresh food.

Reaction score
Thats right we had a slab of slate in the larder to keep things cool, infact we lived right out in the country and electricity hadent reached us yet and we had paraffin lamps and candles and coal fire and a range in the kitchen to cook on and and a earth closet out the back in the garden and a goesunder under the bed:Dthose were the days:thumb:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
My gran used to do the same Abarbarian. Over here in the UK Quad we had what was called rashioning you had so much food that the family could buy from the grocer and the butcher and it included sweets you could buy and hand over the rashon ticket to the retailer otherwise you couldn't buy the items you wanted this was a left over from WW2. There were under the counter deals done with US servicemen if you had a base near you if they could get stuff out. rashioning ended in stages in the mid 1950's, I think sweets were the last thing to come off in about 1957( a Mars bar was 4 old pence) I dont think the US had war time rashoning on food or fuel but we did Quad.

bootneck02,

I know exactly what rationing means and I too have had experienced it back home in the early 70's after the war was over. Items which were rationed were, sugar, flour and rice, I had to stand in a line to get the stuff as a 13 year old lad. I do not recall rationing fuel back then, I could be wrong.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
bootneck02,

I know exactly what rationing means and I too have had experienced it back home in the early 70's after the war was over. Items which were rationed were, sugar, flour and rice, I had to stand in a line to get the stuff as a 13 year old lad. I do not recall rationing fuel back then, I could be wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam_War

Blimey I knew you guys had had a tough time but I never knew how tough. :cool:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam_War

Blimey I knew you guys had had a tough time but I never knew how tough. :cool:

Abarbarian,

No there is no typo when I wrote "70's" it was the India/Pakistan war I was talking about when then East Pakistan became what is known today as Bangladesh. No matter where or which war we talk about, the consequences and circumstances are very similar for whoever is involved in it.:(

By the way no offence taken for your offbeat humour, you are cool :cool:

Ask a Question