Easy: How do I apply a modified form to existing items?

Rahul Bijlani

Should be simple, but I haven't figured it out:

Lets say I have a contacts folder with a custom form called
'Soccerteam', with 10 contacts created using this form.

Now I want to add a text field to this form called 'Jersey Number'. I
publish the form, and any new contacts have the 'Jersey Number' field
in them.

Heres the problem: When I open up any of the contacts created before
today, they do NOT have the 'Jersey Number' field. How can I edit these
forms so that the changes I make apply to existing items in the folder?

Would really appreciate an answer - I'm stumped and can't find any help
through microsoft help/ website so far.

Thanks!

- Rahul

Rahul Bijlani

It works now. I have no idea why it didn't earlier. I guess all I had
to do was restart Outlook?

Hollis Paul

<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.program_forms

It works now. I have no idea why it didn't earlier. I guess all I had
to do was restart Outlook?
Well, it finally cleared the cashe and so you now see the new version
of the form. The best practice is to put the version number of a form
in the name of the form, such as MyLeagueForm_Ver2, and always use
Publish As when you publish the new version. This means you will never
have the cache problem you just experienced.

The problem you will have is that now the old items will not display
with the new form. This is solved by running a utility to change the
form name of the old data items. See the following page on
Outlookcode.com: http://www.outlookcode.com/d/newdefaultform.htm

By the way, www.slipstick.com and www.outlookcode.com are the prime
sources of independent Outlook/Exchange information.