DVI vs VGA :s

Reaction score
Ok i was going for the LG L1740BQ 17" TFT 4ms 550:1 (1280x1024) 'Anti-Glare Flatron Technology' for £175 incl. vat but the only problem i have is that it doesn't have DVI instead it has interface; 1 x VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15). Is it possible to configure or edit this monitor so i can use DVI? I have a eVGA 7800 GT so DVI would be better for me but whats the actual difference between connecting them via VGA instead of DVI (performance image wise)?

Is there a better DVI monitor for under £185 (incl. vat + p&p)? I chose the LG L1740 due to its stylish, and sexy looks, and of course the brands reliability and the specifications with the monitor.

Reaction score
i have an LG monitor, with DVI... and VGA

Sitting here with both plugged into the Gfx card, switching beteen the two, cant tell a blind bit of difference. Both really sharp... maybe you will only notice in games?

Reaction score
The LG L1740PQ does support DVI, but the response time is at 8ms, instead of 4, the contrast ratio is down 500:1 and most importantly its £50 dearer :\

Reaction score
I doubt you would notice a difference between 8 and 4 ms - my TFT is 12ms and its fine for gaming.

The most important thing is the ability that your graphics cards in the future will support VGA i guess

Reaction score
My card is pretty much top of the range, its factory clocked to GTX standard so i'll have it for a while yet i think. It says it takes both DVI/VGA i'll go look round for a cheap but decent TFT but if not i'll stick with my original VGA choice monitor i guess.

Reaction score
Looks like i won't be getting the LG at this rate, any other brands i should look out for, Acer is good/bad?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Get DVI as it is the standard of the future. VGA will be eventually phased out and nowadays more and more video cards come with only DVI. With lower price monitors you get DVI and with mid price ones you may get both but the best of the lot and top of the lines are supporting the DVI standard.

I have posted a lot of information on this technology as have others on this very forum and if you be kind enough to search for the threads you will get the answers to most of the questions.

Use these keywords to find the threads Philips, LCD, Dead Pixlels, DVI, with user name quadophile, I am sure many posts will be available for you to get the requisite information.

I also did a couple of articles sometime back on this site about choosing the monitor, it may be a while but the information contained in those articles is still valid today. Here are the links to those articles if you care to read them:

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/articles/Consumer-Advice/LCD_vs_CRT/

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/reviews/Monitors/Philips_170S5FB_LCD_Monitor/

Hope this helps :) You are more than welcome to come back and ask any questions, we will be happy to help you to the best of our ability.

Cheers!

Ask a Question