DVI Cable

Reaction score
Hello again, just got one quick question. Will i be able to use a monitor just with a DVI cable going into the monitor and into the HD? Or would i need a a DVI and a VGA in which case, i shall cry like a little child. :(

Also i should probably say that i picked the GeForce 8800GTS which doesn't seem to have a VGA port. I have a 17" flat panel monitor which isnt HD.

Last edited:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I am right in reading that you want to connect your DVI only 8800GTS graphics card to your monitor which only has a VGA connection?

If thats correct, just use a DVI to VGA converter on the DVI port of the 8800GTS and connect the monitor as normal - will work fine :thumb:

The last few ATi Graphics cards I bought came with a DVI - VGA converter in the box.....

Reaction score
Ah my hopes just went up..and fell back down. It hasn't got a VGA port only a DVI. My first thought was could i just use a DVI cable from the DVI port to the monitor? Although my monitor is not HD. Im confused (and a little angry at myself for not reading things) :(

Oh i nearly left out, the monitor has a DVI and VGA port

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Your "terminology" is a little confusing ... ?

What do you mean by HD ?

Most Flat Panel (LCD/TFT) monitors, these days are DVI (D)igital (V)ideo (I)nterface and a reasonable graphics card will have both DVI & VGA output. If not, then you need a simple converter/adaptor ... like this, which should have come with the graphics card, if not, they cut a corner.

What is the make & model of the monitor ?

user.gif

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Your "terminology" is a little confusing ... ?

What do you mean by HD ?

Most Flat Panel (LCD/TFT) monitors, these days are DVI (D)igital (V)ideo (I)nterface and a reasonable graphics card will have both DVI & VGA output. If not, then you need a simple converter/adaptor ... like this, which should have come with the graphics card, if not, they cut a corner.

What is the make & model of the monitor ?

user.gif

Aye, sorry i confuse myself at times. My problem is i only have a VGA port on my monitor and not on the back on my tower, which i assume is my graphics card. The card is a GeForce 8800GTS which i read on the Nvidia website is DVI and not VGA. So anyway i was wondering is there a way to get my monitor hooked up to my tower / graphics card when i only have a VGA port on the monitor.

Ive confused myself once again

Reaction score
If you monitor has a DVI port then you will have to buy a cable to go with it.

I think a short time ago someone else asked this or a similar question. He/she had bought a new monitor which was DVi however it did not come with a connecting cable probably due to cost cutting ideas.

If you only have a VGA port on monitor the you need an adapter which are also in the first link i give below.

All you have to determine is which type of cable u need

ie

Male > Male

Male > Female

My bet is Male > Male

Heres a quick butchers http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductListerSearch.aspx?Stockcode=dvi

and Scan.co.uk are doin one aswell altho it seems very, very cheap

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=84594

Last edited:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Now you got me confused - first you say the monitor has both DVI and VGA connections, and then it has VGA only:confused:

If the monitor has ONLY a VGA connection, then I refer you to my previous post for the answer, and as Muckshifter has said, there should have been a converter already in the box with the 8800GTS - check and if not buy one at either my or Mucks links :thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Shinobi Strikes said:
Oh i nearly left out, the monitor has a DVI and VGA port

only have a VGA port on the monitor.

I'm confused now too :confused:
laughingsmiley.gif
Either way you can connect it so that it works. If you have a DVI port on the monitor then a DVI cable will be all you need, if the monitor has only a VGA then you need the adapter that Adywebb posted and a VGA monitor cable :)

edit : oops, I've posted this at the same time as the above post.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Don't worry Ian I did the same with TD's post :D

...I've just checked a couple of 8800GTS makes (BFG & Leadtek) and they both have at least one DVI to VGA converter already in the box, and I would expect all retail versions to do the same.

Just connect the converter to one of the 2 DVI ports on the 8800GTS and then connect your VGA monitor cable :thumb:

Ask a Question