DVD-Drive and Burner just recognized as CD-Drive!

G

Hi guys...

I got a nice DVD-Burner for Christmas, and to start all over, I installed my WinXP Prof. all new again... .....put the DVD-Burner in, and everything startet out just fine.... ....but then I installed a few programms like Nero, and ISORecorder, and suddenly in my "Arbeitsplatz" (don't know the english term, its where you can see all the drives and the "personal file" and "shared file"), both, my Toshiba DVD-Drive and my DVD-Burner are only recognized as CD-Drives... ....in the System-Hardwaremanager, they are both recognized as what they are, but Windows still thinks its a CD-Drive.... ...

please help, don't know what the heck it could be....

thank you so much

P

purplehaz

Explain more please. Why do you think windows sees it as a cdrom drive and
not a dvd burner? Do dvd's play? Can you burn anything? Errors?

G

Well, my NERO finds everything just as it is, aka a DVD-Drive and a DVD Burner....

.....but in the -what is it called- "Workspace" (the Icon of a Computer), I choose to see everything with details, like how much space is left on the harddrive... ....and there it showes just 2 CD-Drives, no DVD-Rom... ...and if I want to use the burning-function of WinXP, it does not work, because it can not find a burner....

.....so WinXP thinks my 2 drives are CD-Drives, which they are not....

P

purplehaz

Sounds like you might want to check the dvd makers website and see if they
have updated drivers to make xp see it correctly. But it also sounds like
since your using nero, it might be a small annoyance, but it should still
work fine.

Patizier said:
Well, my NERO finds everything just as it is, aka a DVD-Drive and a DVD Burner....

....but in the -what is it called- "Workspace" (the Icon of a Computer), I
choose to see everything with details, like how much space is left on the
harddrive... ....and there it showes just 2 CD-Drives, no DVD-Rom...
....and if I want to use the burning-function of WinXP, it does not work,
because it can not find a burner....

G

I found out, that both, the dvd-drive and the burner just use the standart-CD-driver...
.....I do not have a driver for the Drive and Burner, and can not find one on the homepage of the company.. ...but windows had them running nice once, so I don't know how to get them "back"

P

purplehaz

You could try removing the devices from device manager, then reboot and let
windows reinstall them. See if that helps.

Ask a Question