Windows Vista Duplicate file finder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi, been looking around for one and there seem to be lots with drastically varying comments, both free and paid for. Can anyone recommend one?

Thanks,

Neil.

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
I've not had any experience with this sort of software, however this one seems to get the thunbs up - and is free :)

http://www.download.com/Duplicate-Cleaner/3000-2248_4-10584403.html

I just downloaded this and ran it....Out of 120 000 files scanned 11 000 were duplicates..
Scanned My Music afterwords and of 15 000 files, about 120 files/folders were duplicates...

It's pretty easy to use...But I would say if you are an average user and not to confident in deleting things, then do a back up of everything...There were duplicate files I didn't even know what the were...
It is also a very slowprocess..The scan on my 120gig drive took nearly 2 hours..And while scanning you can't do anything else...When trying to access other things on the computer it pretty much freezes up...I am going to run it on another Laptop that needs cleaning up.So might take screen shots as I go and post them...Otherwise a pretty good program..I freed up abut 3.5 gig...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd be very careful running things like this - I'd only suggest using it to check you haven't doubled up on music files... when it comes to any system files I'd leave them alone :)

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
I'd be very careful running things like this - I'd only suggest using it to check you haven't doubled up on music files... when it comes to any system files I'd leave them alone :)

I'm running as Administrator..When you select the option to delete, you get a message up tlling you you can't delete Sys files as they are protected...So i'd assume to dlete any duplicate sys files you have to goto Safe mode...The majority of mine were .dll and music files..I would say though if you don't know what you're doing, rather don't play with this program..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question