Dual Processor Question

Reaction score
I was thinking of getting a dual processor for my computer. I do 3d modeling and need the speed.
two questions
1) can i take the processor off the motherboard i have now and put in a new one (bought the pc, didnt build it. Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz)
2) can i put a 2.8 and a 3.0 in the same motherboard or do i need to use the same speeds?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
before you do anything, what motherboard do you have ? use everest if you dont know

Reaction score
Intel pentium and Athlon 64 CPU's require different boards. You weren't planning trying to stick an Athlon X2 processor in there, were you?

The type of processor you can get is basically limited to two things - The socket type (the hole that the processor slots into), and the FSB speed (the speed at which the motherboard sets the processor to run at).

Windows XP doesn't fully support dual core processors. Just because you have 2 programs open, doesn't mean it will automatically make one core do one thing and the other core do the other - it doesn't work that way. You will constantly have to open task manager and manually set the cores to do tasks, which is okay if you need to perform a lengthy task whilst doing some other things. Otherwise, XP will affectively leave one core dormant all the time.

There are some new games coming out - like Elderscrolls Oblivion - which already know what to do with multiple core processors. But hardly any software knows what to do with it on the whole. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a decent Dual core processor - its just that I think a faster single core processor and a huge chunk of low latency RAM would probably sort you out better.

Last edited:
Reaction score
is it possible to take the processor out of a bought computer and replace it with another? whats the highest speed processor that will fit in a socket 604 i believe it is. I have a 2.8GHz right now, but need more.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
yes provding it is compatible, what motherboard do you have and what CPU do you want to put in it ?

Reaction score
i have a Intel® Desktop Board D845GVSR for my motherboard and i was hoping for atleast a 3.6GHz processor.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
that board won't take a CPU with an FSB above 533 and its socket 478, you'll need a new motherboard to get a dual core CPU

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
you can get single core CPU's up to 3.8Ghz but you will need a new motherboard if you want one

Ask a Question