Dual boot XP/Vista, can I hibernate both OSs & pick which to resto

I want to be able to switch from XP to Vista more quickly, so it would be
nice if I could hibernate both at the same time and have an option of which I
want to restore when I restart the computer. Am I asking too much of my
computer? Seem's like it would be a lovely feature to have, has anybody done
this?

One more thing, with a laptop is there a way to not have the laptop resume
from hibernate/standby when I open the lid, but rather when I push the power
button?

Steven

philo

Steven said:
I want to be able to switch from XP to Vista more quickly, so it would be
nice if I could hibernate both at the same time and have an option of which I
want to restore when I restart the computer. Am I asking too much of my
computer? Seem's like it would be a lovely feature to have, has anybody done
this?

Whatever OS you hibernate in...is the one you will wake up to

DP

Whatever OS you hibernate in...is the one you will wake up to
Right. It won't give you the dual-boot option on start-up. It'll go directly
to the hibernating OS. At least, that's been my experience with a Vista
Ultimate 64 and Win XP Professional x64 dual-boot arrangement.

philo

DP said:
Right. It won't give you the dual-boot option on start-up. It'll go directly
to the hibernating OS. At least, that's been my experience with a Vista
Ultimate 64 and Win XP Professional x64 dual-boot arrangement.

that would be true of any OS...

you'd need to reboot to get to the other OS...

One thing to consider when dual-booting VISTA and a previous/other OS is that
when you shut down does the "rollback" data get properly recorded. One of
the better items of recent MS OS's including VISTA is the ability to fix most
crashes with a very simple rollback-to-previous-state if necessary. VISTA
does not record it's rollback database the same as previous/other OS's, and
the boot sector in a dual-boot situation is where the important part of this
process takes place. Therefore you probably would not have a good prior save
state to save to in the event of booting problems of either OS in a dual-boot
environment. Just a thought.

I installed Vista on a second partition that previously had another XP OS on
it, so when I booted the computer, I first got an option to choose Vista or
XP, if I chose XP, I then got a second option to choose XP Pro or the XP Home
that I wiped. Although I didn't try hitting F8 and testing the startup
options, it would seem that I would have rollback options for either OS. So
I'm sure this scenario would be possible, but nobody at Microsoft is likely
to take the time to program such a feature nobody but me wants.

Steven

That isn't true of any OS I have ubuntu installed and triple boot xp/vista
and ubuntu and i can hibernate ubuntu and restart my pc and choose between
booting ubuntu as it is and windows vista bootloader so it can be done

Ah, yes, Phoenic, but you loaded ubuntu "last", did you not? (The
recommended procedure for dual/triple with any Linux flavor, btw). If you
had loaded VISTA last, i do believe when you snooze Vista it will wake up to
Vista's last state. Correct me if i am wrong, because i too loaded SuSE 10.2
last. ;-)

that is all true, but all I'm saying is that if its possible for linux
distros to restore directly to the previous state even if you choose to boot
into something else it should be possible for microsoft to implement such a
feature in a future service pack. It would certainly be a bonus especially
for those like myself who have hardware thats incompatible with vista like my
tv tuner and my dictaphone and my webcam and etc

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
So the intent behind hibernation is that the state of the system is
recorded to the hiberfil,sys, now when the machine is resumed the system is
assumed to be in the same state as it was when it entered that state. The
ability to resume to another OS, means the potential for changes to the
system are now much greater so there is greater risk.

Applications that have file handles open or documents open expect those
files or folders to be in teh same state for example
The same hardware is expected to be present and in the same state as it
entered hibernation.
So if I boot into another OS, I now have access to the same files or
folders that are open in the hibernation state in the first OS. The second
OS hs no knowledge of what the first OS currently is doing.
While in the second OS I could do things like, defrag my disks. This makes
any number of changes to system files and folder locations.
I could open a document that is currently open in the other OS's hibernated
state and make changes.
Now I reenter the first machine's state, the changes by defrag could very
easily cause problems like blue-screens on boot. The OS's knowledge of
free space is wrong so it if a file is saved it could overwrite a change
that was made in the other OS when booted there. or corrupt a files by
overwriting portions of it.
The document that I had open with changes made to it, if I save I lose the
changes made via the other OS when I opened the document.
So there are dataloss considerations, that have to be taken into account.
There are stability concerns around the changes that could cause hangs and
crashes.
Adding or removing hardware would be another issue. both OS's would need
to be in a non-hibernated state to change out hardware or risk a bluescreen.

Sure it could be possible to do this, but the validation of the system
state that would have to take place when resuming for each OS may slow down
the return to the desktop to such an extent that the value may not be
present.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]