Drivers for XP

tempest

Could someone point me a correct link to download Win XP drivers for ACER
Extensa 5620-5B3G32Mi notebook model?
As far I can see in Acer page, there are no this model listed, or Acer have
too tangled download page, etc

http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/downloads_gd.html

Second, how to correctly install win XPsp2 on SATA drive, without tinkering
with BIOS too much, etc?

Thank you.

1

1PW

tempest said:
Could someone point me a correct link to download Win XP drivers for
ACER Extensa 5620-5B3G32Mi notebook model?
As far I can see in Acer page, there are no this model listed, or Acer
have too tangled download page, etc

http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/downloads_gd.html

Then drill down: Notebook > Extensa > Extensa 5620

....or are we mis-reading you post?
Second, how to correctly install win XPsp2 on SATA drive, without
tinkering with BIOS too much, etc?

Thank you.

Can you elaborate? Is Windows XP already installed, but lacks SP2 or
are you starting from a bootable OEM/retail Microsoft CD where SP2 was
slipstreamed into the installation and you are doing a clean install?

Regards,

Pete

ColTom2

You have the correct website listed. Just click on Notebook>Extensa>Model
5620 and it lists eight drivers for this model. In fact, it appears that all
the Extensa 5620 series models have the same drivers listed. All that you
have to do is click on the small icon to the left of the driver name to
download.

As to how to correctly install XP SP2 it is best to use Windows Update.
Otherwise you can go to Microsoft's website
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=enand download from here. Be sure and turn off or disable your AV prior to installing. Plus I alwaysremove any peripherals i..e. printer etc prior to installing SP's.ColTom2"tempest" <[email protected]> wrote in messagesomeone point me a correct link to download Win XP drivers for ACERExtensa 5620-5B3G32Mi notebook model?As far I can see in Acer page, there are no this model listed, or Acer havetoo tangled download page, etchttp://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/downloads_gd.htmlSecond, how to correctly install win XPsp2 on SATA drive, without tinkeringwith BIOS too much, etc?Thank you.

Paul

tempest said:
Could someone point me a correct link to download Win XP drivers for
ACER Extensa 5620-5B3G32Mi notebook model?
As far I can see in Acer page, there are no this model listed, or Acer
have too tangled download page, etc

http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/downloads_gd.html

Second, how to correctly install win XPsp2 on SATA drive, without
tinkering with BIOS too much, etc?

Thank you.

So far, I found this, but had to use a search engine external to Acer.
The Acer search engine ignored that model number. I downloaded the manual,
and it appears to have an Intel chipset for the Northbridge and
Southbridge. It doesn't say what Southbridge.

http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/notebook/ex_5620.html

For the disk interface, an Intel chipset might offer "Compatible" versus
"Enhanced" as one option. "Compatible" maps drives into the old I/O space,
and uses IRQ14 and IRQ15. An OS like Win98, as well as WinXP could use
that. The "Enhanced" is more likely to be the default. The drive
controller in that case, appears in the PCI space, and there is no
restriction on using IRQ14 and IRQ15. By using PCI resources, many
more disks can be supported in that space. Compatible tends to limit
the Southbridge, to four storage devices.

At the next level, is "IDE, AHCI, RAID". "IDE" is a non hot-plug way
of running under Enhanced. "IDE" should be able to work with
the driver already in the WinXP installer disk. (I'm assuming you
have a CD which already includes SP1 or later. If you don't, slipstream
some WinXP Service Pack, using Nlite from NliteOS.com, and then
burn a new installer CD from the resulting ISO9660 file with
something like Nero.)

AHCI and RAID, need you to press F6 and offer a driver during installation,
If the computer happened to have an ESATA port, then you might be more
interested in AHCI. If not, just stick with IDE mode.

I believe Vista supports IDE and AHCI out of the box. The laptop may have
come with "Enhanced" "AHCI" for example, and Vista could handle that.
With WinXP, my own personal choice might be "Enhanced" "IDE", as then
no pressing of F6 during the installation should be needed.

With Nlite, you can also integrate drivers into an installer CD. So it
is possible to preload just about anything. As far as I know, Nlite
wants driver packages to be the INF file equipped type, rather than
some ugly Installshield. So Nlite won't accept any old format for
drivers.

Paul

tempest

1PW said:
Then drill down: Notebook > Extensa > Extensa 5620

...or are we mis-reading you post?

Can you elaborate? Is Windows XP already installed, but lacks SP2 or are
you starting from a bootable OEM/retail Microsoft CD where SP2 was
slipstreamed into the installation and you are doing a clean install?

Regards,

Pete
---------------------------

Ok, it looks they have same drivers for all Extensa 5620 series models.

Laptop come with Linux, I want try install winXP (I have win XP SP2 CD). For
some reasons win XPsp2 cannot be directly installed on SATA drive(which
have this notebook) without altering BIOS settings, etc, etc
Is there easy way install XP without tinkering with Bios, etc?

thank you.

smlunatick

---------------------------

Ok, it looks they have same drivers for all Extensa 5620 series models.

Laptop come with Linux, I want try install winXP (I have win XP SP2 CD). For
some reasons  win XPsp2 cannot be directly installed on SATA drive(which
have this notebook) without altering BIOS settings, etc, etc
Is there easy way install XP without tinkering with Bios, etc?

thank you.

Download the SATA AHCI driver.

Buy a USB Floppy drive

Create the SATA driver floppy

Boot the XP SP2 install CD.

When shown, Press the F6 key so as to add boot driver.

Insert the SATA Boot driver floppy.

Thee Chicago Wolf (MVP)

Ok, it looks they have same drivers for all Extensa 5620 series models.
Laptop come with Linux, I want try install winXP (I have win XP SP2 CD). For
some reasons win XPsp2 cannot be directly installed on SATA drive(which
have this notebook) without altering BIOS settings, etc, etc
Is there easy way install XP without tinkering with Bios, etc?

Yes. Go and get the SATA driver and unzip it to some directory on your
computer. Get XP SP3 full download and save it somewhere on your
desktop. Get and install NLite. This will allows you to use you XP SP2
CD, make a new slipstream SP3 CD and then you can integrate the SATA
driver into the CD and make a new SP3 CD that has the correct SATA
driver at bootup. Give it a shot.