Download speed

Sorry, this forum is very unreliable (tut tut microsoft) so im not sure if my
last question was even posted! il try again, sorry if you see this twice!

Im using windows xp pro. i have a cable broadband internet connection
currently rated at 750k and 128k upload speed.

When ever i try to download software, music files, music videos, movie
trailers, basically anything from the net, i always get this download
progress box appear. The download speed is always at about 80-90kbps. Surely,
with a 750kbps modem, if i download a 3000k file (3mb) then it should take
about 3 secs, not 30!!??

Do i have a setting or configuration wrong in explorer or elsewhere on my
pc? please help!!!! im not sure im getting the most from my service!

Jim

Timbersnake said:
Sorry, this forum is very unreliable (tut tut microsoft) so im not sure if my
last question was even posted! il try again, sorry if you see this twice!
It isn't on my computer. Perhaps you need a different news server..
JIm

Ron Lowe

Timbersnake said:
Sorry, this forum is very unreliable (tut tut microsoft) so im not sure if
my
last question was even posted! il try again, sorry if you see this twice!

Im using windows xp pro. i have a cable broadband internet connection
currently rated at 750k and 128k upload speed.

When ever i try to download software, music files, music videos, movie
trailers, basically anything from the net, i always get this download
progress box appear. The download speed is always at about 80-90kbps.
Surely,
with a 750kbps modem, if i download a 3000k file (3mb) then it should take
about 3 secs, not 30!!??

Do i have a setting or configuration wrong in explorer or elsewhere on my
pc? please help!!!! im not sure im getting the most from my service!

Modem speeds are in BITS per second. ( bps, Kbps )
Your download speed indicator is showing BYTES per second. ( Bps, KBps )

A BYTE is 8 BITS.

750k bits per second is roughly:
750 * 1024 / 8 = 96K BYTES /sec

Subtracting out the various overheads, then I'd say 80 to 90 KBytes / sec is
normal.

A 3 meg file in 30 seconds is ballpark correct for your connection.

Malke

Timbersnake said:
Sorry, this forum is very unreliable (tut tut microsoft) so im not
sure if my last question was even posted! il try again, sorry if you
see this twice!
(snip rest of post because it has been answered)

This isn't a "forum". You are using the web interface to MS newsgroups,
which is the worst way to access these groups. Here is information
about newsgroups and setting up a newsreader:

Since you are using the web interface, you may not realize that this is
really a newsgroup. You will get far more out of this resource if you
learn to use a newsreader. There are many good newsreaders for Windows,
but you can use Outlook Express since you already have it.

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page3.html#12-09-02 - a brief
explanation of newsgroups
http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/support/news/howto/default.asp
- Set Up Newsreader

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

microsoft.public.test.here - MS group to test if your newsreader is
working properly
http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm - how to munge email address
http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting vs.
crossposting

Malke

thanks guys, at least that clears that up. i dread to think of the speed on a
dial up 56k modem!!! guess il wait till my free 2mb modem upgrade and MORE
POWER ug ug ug!!!

Miller

Hi All!
Timbersnake
Follow these steps, which I wish to be brief.
Launch Outlook Express, > Tools menu > Accounts >
Add > News >
Display name: xxx > Next >
e-mail address: (e-mail address removed) ([email protected]) > Next >
News (NNTP) Server: msnews.microsoft.com
Next > Finish > Close.
Would you like to download newsgroups from the news server you added? Yes.
Newsgroup Subscriptions: microsoft.public.windowsxp.
Subscribe.

Note: Double-click the newsgroup you added and choose CatchUp!
Press F1 for any help.
I wish to be helpfull.
Bye

JS

Malke said:
Timbersnake wrote:

(snip rest of post because it has been answered)

This isn't a "forum". You are using the web interface to MS newsgroups,
which is the worst way to access these groups. Here is information
about newsgroups and setting up a newsreader:

Since you are using the web interface, you may not realize that this is
really a newsgroup. You will get far more out of this resource if you
learn to use a newsreader. There are many good newsreaders for Windows,

But Outlook Express is certainly not one of them.

Malke, why do you keep recommending this junk to newbies?

To the OP: if you're looking for a newsreader, you could do
a lot worse than the Free open-source Mozilla Thunderbird.

Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)

JS

Outlook Express is a very good newsreader.. perhaps you would like to
validate your claim..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User